Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Heads up about some food prices. >

Heads up about some food prices.

Heads up about some food prices.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

DH gets a Bloomberg econo mailing. I browse through them for a heads up on food info I can find. Today I found this:

...Coffee, sugar and cocoa prices will rise five- to 10-fold by 2014 because of shortages that will mean consumers getting “swamped” by food-price inflation, according to Superfund Financial.....

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you have storage for these items, stock up to ride out the increase. These items have decades long shelf life. Whole coffee beans last for years. It may seem alike a long time away but it will increase to that high point starting this year. It may not happen but doesn't hurt to be prepared if you can for any items that contain these food you enjoy.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for the heads up :D:D:D
Old 04-03-2011, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I think we've already gotten swamped by food prices - can't believe the price of fresh produce. I joined a farm co-op - glad to be sustaining the local farmers.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:14 AM

We went to the store on Friday to get some groceries. OMG we went to get some tomatoes that weren't even fully red yet, they were like a pale orange/red color definitely green house tomatoes and they were $4.29 A POUND!!!!! A POUND!!!! I almost had a heart attack. We DID NOT BUY any of them but my husband wanted to so bad but I stood my ground. I told him he can either buy ONE pound of tomatoes and crap it out tomorrow....OR.....we can buy one gallon of gas and go 35 miles....he chose the gallon of gas, but I knew he would see things MY Way. LOL So were hoping to buy a couple of tomato plants and grow some of our own on our patio. And hope no one steals them. LOL
Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

I found that the canned organic diced tomatoes, well drained taste as good as raw tomatoes in a salad or on tacos, etc. I save the juice to use in casseroles and soups. We have tomato plants but most don't produce. It helps to shake the plant pretty hard when the flowers appear. It works.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the warning! I'm going shopping-and not for fabric!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:55 AM

That makes me sad! We got a Keurig for Christmas and just love it!!!! The k-cups are kind of pricy now, so I really don't want to see how high they will go.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:12 PM

I can relate to those prices. THursday I went to our brand new big Walmart about 10 miles away. I almost fell over in shock at some of their prices, higher than my local grocery store!!

I am going to go to Costco and keep on stocking up on coffee and sugar, both have a long shelf life. I'll also date each one so I will make sure to rotate them. Luckily I have a lot of built in cabinets my late DH put in himself, bless his heart. He had no idea of how much it would help me long after he died.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:16 PM

Not surprising, though it'd be nice to know why those things in particular. Does it have something to do with them mostly coming from South American countries?

As for those tomatoes, that's from weather conditions this year. Wendy's is once again putting them on burgers and in salads only on request (and in itty-bitty amounts even then). Even the supermarket deli chain here is now putting them on sandwiches only on request, and while the'll ask if you want lettuce or mayo, they don't ask if you want tomatoes.

I read prices may also go up because of Japan's problems.

And I read a while back that the price of cotton has gone up - which will affect fabric prices.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I may be able to trade sugar, coffee, or chocolate for fabric! LOL