Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Heads up about some food prices. >

Heads up about some food prices.

Heads up about some food prices.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Oooooo, guess we'd better stock up on chocolate and freeze it! :lol:

Thanks for the heads up.
chocolate does NOT freeze well...even in the RAW chocolatiere state!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I don't want to go without my coffee and sugar!!! I have a couple of cans in my storage closet and a 5 gallon bucket full of sugar. Need more buckets anyway so maybe sugar is what to stock up on.

Last time I was at Food Co they had the buckets and the Gama lids for them. I thought wow... people are stocking up, aren't they?
do not store your sugar in a bucket...open invitation for ants, and more....instead, invest a "sealer"..and seal the unopened packages as they come from the store. Store in a cool, dry pantry or closet.

ONe of the sealer machines is truly the best storage device you can buy....air tight means less spoilage and longer life...

I am stocking up on beans, seasonings, dried onions, rice and peanut butter!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
ok, so why shake the tomato plants? for better production as a result of less competition? never heard of that before but if that is the reason, wouldn't it just produce larger tomatoes? also, would i freeze the coffee beans? thanks for the info.
you can freeze them for longer life, but that is generally just for the Flavored beans...natural beans should just be vacuumed sealed and stored in a cool dry place.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 PM

Thank You for the depressing heads up. Take away our coffee & chocolate & you will se whole lotta unhappy, grouchy people! Myself being one. LOL I do think we need to stock up on a lot of food items if we can. Going to go to the grocery Store tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM

Ok i gave up what's a co-op????
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
between crop failures, the gas to grow those crops, the gas to move those crops, etc...these are only a small drop in the SUPER huge prices we all soon be dealing with....find those local co-ops NOW and join them before they get too costly to join as well,, many only allow so many members a year and require a certain amount of $$ up front!
:oops:
Old 04-03-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
ok, so why shake the tomato plants? for better production as a result of less competition? never heard of that before but if that is the reason, wouldn't it just produce larger tomatoes? also, would i freeze the coffee beans? thanks for the info.
Because it causes them to pollinate. If you don't have alot of bees around to do that for you, you have to do it yourself, or they won't produce. My DH pollinates ours with a q-tip. Takes awhile, but we always have lots of 'maters.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:06 PM

Buy Mylar bags, put into 5 gal buckets from Home Depot fill with sugar or rice, whatever,seal (a curling or flat iron works great. Put the top on and label them. I have about twenty stored,3 rice,3 sugar,4 flour, 4wheat berries, 3homemade bisquick,1coffee beans. Make sure you put in oxygen remover packets an force out as much air as possible before you seal.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:07 PM

Thank you for the heads up!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Hobo you have to be really careful with the biscuit mixes, cake mixes, self rising flour or anything with yeast in it. It will turn toxic. You should always make sure to use it up within a month after the expiration date. I have tons of canning jars so think we will be using them soon. DH plans to put in a garden if we can figure out how to keep the critters out of it. I think we will be planting in 5 gal buckets and keeping them on the front porch. We can deter some of the critters atleast that way. Last year I had deer eating my rose bush which is about 5 feet from my front porch. Don't know why they would do that when they can eat the alfalfa? Silly things...Thanks for the info..Linda B.

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Buy Mylar bags, put into 5 gal buckets from Home Depot fill with sugar or rice, whatever,seal (a curling or flat iron works great. Put the top on and label them. I have about twenty stored,3 rice,3 sugar,4 flour, 4wheat berries, 3homemade bisquick,1coffee beans. Make sure you put in oxygen remover packets an force out as much air as possible before you seal.
Deer in the alfalfa field
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179379[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-179373.jpe  
Old 04-04-2011, 04:59 AM

We have tilled up a goodly portion of our back yard. Its planting a garden for us. DS#2 is helping with it. We planted carrots and lettuce yesterday, will add the rest after the weather warms a bit more. DS bought seed that will make seed, not the hybrid stuff that most seed packets are, with these you save some of the seed from the plant and it will grow again next year. The whole neighborhood is planting this year.