Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HELP please Jam without any sugar... >

HELP please Jam without any sugar...

HELP please Jam without any sugar...

Old 08-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Has anyone made Raspberry/blackberry jam WITHOUT sugar but using fruit juice to sweeten. I have looked on the net but I am so nervous I'll screw this up. Please help if you are certain of how to do this. :thumbup: Thanks sssssoooooo Much!!

PS I do not have a canner, only a pressure cooker and/ or a large pot
Old 08-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
Has anyone made Raspberry/blackberry jam WITHOUT sugar but using fruit juice to sweeten. I have looked on the net but I am so nervous I'll screw this up. Please help if you are certain of how to do this. :thumbup: Thanks sssssoooooo Much!!

PS I do not have a canner, only a pressure cooker and/ or a large pot
I don't know about the no sugar but I do know you don't need a canner to make jam. I cook the jam according to direction using sure-jell and sugar and pour into hot jars, seal and turn over for 5 minutes, turn back over and listen to them pop as the air is sucked out naturally and the jam is sealed.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Banned

I have been canning for years and use a big pot as I don't have a canner or pressure. Sure Jell has a no sugar needed pectin. I would use that so that your jam comes out perfect. Make sure the label says less/no sugar sure jell it is in a pink box. If you can't find it in the store amazon.com sells it but you have to buy something like 6 or 8 boxes. The regular sugar added Sure Jell is in a yellwo box.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I have been canning for years and use a big pot as I don't have a canner or pressure. Sure Jell has a no sugar needed pectin. I would use that so that your jam comes out perfect. Make sure the label says less/no sugar sure jell it is in a pink box. If you can't find it in the store amazon.com sells it but you have to buy something like 6 or 8 boxes. The regular sugar added Sure Jell is in a yellwo box.
I bought Ball No-Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin. But I am not clear if I need lemon juice! Geeze I don't wanna screw this up :? Anyone for a trip to Alaska to help this knuckle head out???
Old 08-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

If your recipe says to process the jam - I have no idea if they do or not - you can use a pressure cooker like a hot water bath canner - just leave the gasket off/out of the lid and the pressure thingy off the lid (if that's how yours works)

and cover the jars with water to over one inch.

If that's what the instructions call for.

My Mom made freezer strawberry jam. Awesome. But it did have sugar in it.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
Originally Posted by trupeach1
I bought Ball No-Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin. But I am not clear if I need lemon juice! Geeze I don't wanna screw this up :? Anyone for a trip to Alaska to help this knuckle head out???
I would come and I have relatives that live up there and in the Yukon LOL. Really jam is easy. Follow the directions and you'll do fine. As for methods I put all my jars on a cookie sheet place in oven set at 250. Then I place all the lids rubber ring side up in a pan of water and set those on a med low. Then when jam is ready fill your jars, I use a fork to fish the lids out of the hot water and then place on top of the hot jar of jam and screw on the lid tight. I simply set them somewhere without a draft and they all pop.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:33 PM

NOt sure why you would use lemon, but if the receipe calls for it, I'd use it. Is it just a small amount of lemon> Maybe it is to keep fruit from discoloring.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clem55
NOt sure why you would use lemon, but if the receipe calls for it, I'd use it. Is it just a small amount of lemon> Maybe it is to keep fruit from discoloring.
I learned to make jam and jellies from my mom and grandma. I take canning wax and shave some into each jar. About 1/4 c or so and after you cook your jam then ladle it into the jars and leave a 1/2" space at top. The wax will melt and rise through the jam and set up on top sealing it in. NO canning or pressure canning to make jam. Just cook your fruit and add the surejell and put in jar. Easy to make. Follow the directions in the surejell for how to make the jam according to what fruit used.

Lemon juice is added when needed if the fruit doesn't have enough acidic content.

Just a note: If your jam doesn't set up right and ends up runny it makes great pancake syrup!
Old 08-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

I really wouldnt think you would need lemon. I have only made the blackberry freezer jam, and I didnt need lemon.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

My mom melted the wax and poured it on top of the jams and jellies - it made a seal - sometimes she's put a lid on over it.

I remember pushing the wax down to break the seal -