Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you season your Cast Iron Skillets? >

How do you season your Cast Iron Skillets?

How do you season your Cast Iron Skillets?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:27 PM

It just goes to show that, like quilting, there's no ONE right way to do anything! :)

I have 37 skillets, 3 "in house" dutch ovens, 6 "Camp ovens" (Dutch ovens with legs), I don't know how many muffin, popover, gem and cornstick pans, and a large roaster. Most are over 100 years old. None of them family heirlooms, I collected them here and there, and some were gifts. Add to that 57 cast iron trivets. All were seasoned and are taken care of the way I posted before. Nothing sticks in the cookware, and oil will "bead" in the skillet if there's not enough of it!

That being said, I will argue ONE thing. Campfires, fireplaces, and trash barrel fires to clean your cast iron is HARD on the cast iron! Ever notice that "rosy" hue that the iron takes on? It's not rust, and it's not fixable. You've changed the iron forever, and it will be weaker than iron that has not been "fired". You also take a chance on that cast iron cracking in the fire, or warping so that it no longer sits flat.

I would no more "fire" my cast iron cookware, nor would I sandblast it than I would take Comet Cleanser to my grandmother's antique sewing machine and treadle cabinet. Both might still work, but the value is gone...
Old 08-13-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I season mine on the stove top. I let it heat dry, then add a drop or so of vegetable oil and wipe around the bottom and sides. Continue to let it heat with the oil in it for 15 - 20 minutes.

When I wash mine...yes I do too...I wash with dish soap and hot water. To dry it I place it back on the burner and let it get hot until the water evaporates, then I wipe it with oil on a paper towel again. I've had the same set of skillets for over 30 years and still counting.
That's how I treat my cast iron skillets and these skillets make perfect omelets, over easy eggs, or sunny side up eggs. Perfect for deep frying.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 AM

When i wash it with hot soapy water I place it on the stove and turn the burner on high until the skillet is dry and hot.
If the skillet is new I lightly coat it with some oil or grease and place it in the oven overnight at 220 degrees.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:44 AM

I don't have a skillet but I do have dutch ovens. I use my gas BBQ to do the heat. Light oil rub and put them in to bake for a while. Saves smoking out my kitchen!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
I don't have a skillet but I do have dutch ovens. I use my gas BBQ to do the heat. Light oil rub and put them in to bake for a while. Saves smoking out my kitchen!
Smart lady!! ;)
Old 08-14-2011, 10:48 AM

I've seasoned my cast iron skillet only once, when I first bought it. I wash it in hot water with very little bit of dish soap. If needed I use metal scrubber. Never soak a cast iron skillet. Actually the only thing I cook it is meat. A small cast iron skillet is used for cooking only eggs. That one is never washed, only scrubbed and rinsed with hot water. Amazing how little oil or shortening I have to use on that skillet. I do use oven cleaner only on the outside to remove greasey buildup. This I learned from my parents and have had my skillets for 47 years. If food stick to your skillet, preheat with oil or shortening, then add food.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
Smart lady!! ;)
I learned this after smoking my entire house and setting off the alarm the first time! Thankfully you really don't have to do it more than once if treated correctly! I used mine this weekend to make apple crisp for 40 people! Yum!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:11 AM

My DD oils hers down on inside and outside and puts on grill will the top down and leaves it overnight.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:56 PM

When my husband first got his pans, he seasoned them with oil but after his first one, we found we can just buy them that way. We found seasoned ones at the Cracker Barrel Restaurants, which you can find online.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:10 PM

i let grease sit in mine for a day or so then rinse it for the next use. i use mine everyday so it gets plenty of seasoning....love my cast iron...my mom used it for everything from cooking to throwing at a smartmouthed kid.. thank god she never hit us just used to scare the bejebees out of us....