Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you season your Cast Iron Skillets? >

How do you season your Cast Iron Skillets?

How do you season your Cast Iron Skillets?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:01 AM

I love my cast iron, have had most of it for many years and always seasoned like most of the instructions above. But...
I used to have parrots and I ordered some palm oil for them. I made cornbread with the palm oil and my skillet came out seasoned to perfection. I don't think you get a skillet seasoned this well any other way.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:26 AM

Now for a really good cast iron candy recipe (which I just in fact made and is setting up...)

TOFFEE

Melt 2 sticks margarine (light flavor) or butter (heavy flavor) in cast iron skillet. Add 1 cup white sugar, 3 T water and 1 t vanilla. Stir and cook until the color of a brown paper sack. Pour onto cookie sheet and tilt pan until even. Let sit for about one minute, then pour 8 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips on top. Let sit long enough to melt, then spread evenly. Sprinkle with almond slivers (you can toast them if you like.) Let set and break into pieces! You can also add toasted almond slivers to the toffee before pouring onto cookie sheet. Enjoy!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
I had one that was new and needed seasoning. I did it this way:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...519/index.html
I use mine camping and I do all of the things in this techniques but I do not use oil on them after they are dry. I use minneral oil...it does not get that stickey feel to it like oil. and they are packed away till next time with the paper towel with the oil on it.

I do boil water in mine for pototoes and oil right after sometimes even before completely dry.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
If I season after the pan is clean I use mineral oil because it doesn't go rancid and it's edible.

I also use mineral oil on my wood cutting boards.
yes as I posted just now I also use it for my wood.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 AM

sorry to post again but anyone of you lovers of cast iorn know how to do the old time corn bread...thanks
Old 08-12-2011, 08:12 AM

I have several iron skillets that came from my mothers collection. I seasoned them in the oven like has been said before. Heat, grease (lard), heat, grease, wipe clean. Mine are perfect for cornbread. I used to threaten my husband to not cook anything in them except bread. They are too heavy for me to use except for bread now since I broke my wrist last year. They do make perfect cornbread.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 AM

I rub crisco allover and then put in the oven when new. have even put them in the firplace in winter and just build the fire around it. Have always washed mine and then put on the burner until completely dry. Mine are so old they never stick any more.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

I have my grandmothers cast iron that is over 75 years old and still cooks great. I do as she always did (lived with her 13 years). After using I wash with hot water and Dawn. Then I place then on a warm burner to make sure dry. Only about every 3rd or 4th use do I use a very small amount of oilve oil rubbed into the pan to prevent rusting. As far as seasoning them I have never had to do that. She always claimed once seasoned properly they were seasoned. Just maintain them afterwards. I bought one of the new cast iron skillets - they are nothing like my old ones.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I season mine on the stove top. I let it heat dry, then add a drop or so of vegetable oil and wipe around the bottom and sides. Continue to let it heat with the oil in it for 15 - 20 minutes.

When I wash mine...yes I do too...I wash with dish soap and hot water. To dry it I place it back on the burner and let it get hot until the water evaporates, then I wipe it with oil on a paper towel again. I've had the same set of skillets for over 30 years and still counting.
I have washed mine too. As long as I reseason with oil, I've had no problems.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Never wash them.
I use mine to saute onions, cook bacon, toast grilled sandwiches, pan-fry steak, that sort of thing. And immediately after use, while the pan is still hot I run it under hot water, use a soap-free scrubby, rinse until clear, and let dry on the hot/turned off burner. Use mine almost every day, love them!

Jan in VA
I do the exact same thing... But I always spray it after drying it and rub the oil spray in real good. The pan always goes inside the cool oven for storage.