Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If I Didn't Have A Dog... Or Cat... >

If I Didn't Have A Dog... Or Cat...

If I Didn't Have A Dog... Or Cat...

Old 07-14-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
Rebecca this is great and I'll be sending it to a few friends!
You described our homelife in a nutshell! We have 3 and often 4 doggies (I mean Angels) here!
Ours, too, Rebecca. We lost one dog (at age 17) at the beginning of November last year, and before the month was out, we couldn't stand how sad the remaining dog seemed without his buddy, and we were afraid to leave him alone in the house. Finally went to a shelter and brought home a young one just before Thanksgiving. She's a bit too rambunctious for our older guy, but at least he doesn't seem to mind at all when we leave them for a few hours now and then. The two of them snuggle together, especially during the cooler months. They are in complete agreement that going out in the rain is extremely dangerous, unless there is a person with a leash in attendance.

The cats are sweet and very little bother now, but as they get older, we have to brace ourselves for the fact that things will tend to get difficult and increasingly expensive.

Can't imagine life without pets. Actually, I can, as you did, but they are worth every inconvenience.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 AM

3 cats in their teens, a 3 yr old dog, 12 (3wk old) chicks; the chicks are a first for us. We moved out of town last year, now I have a sewing room, just planted my first flower gardens, dh has his first veggie garden and we just got the chicks two weeks ago, dh is building a coop for them. We're in Heaven!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:32 PM

5 dogs, 2 cats and ALL the points in the post. I wouldn't know what to do without my black shirts growing dog hair.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:52 PM

I have 4 dogs and 2 of them shed constantly. It would be nice to have a fur free house. If you can go barefoot in the yard,
you don't have fire ants or dogs. lol
Old 07-15-2012, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
That is so true all of it!! We have a lab mix and she is 10 yrs. old and we love her but she sheds on a second by second basis. My husband says he has to "shave the bottom of his SOCKS" before he puts his shoes on. lol I swiffer a LOT.
I hear ya! My Leo is Lab/Basset Hound & you wouldn't think he'd shed but sometimes he looks like a dandelion! We brush him daily but he still sheds like CRAZY! But I wouldn't take a million dollars for him... I've just learned to like dog hair... LOL!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
We have 4 dogs and a cat. My DH said one day, "we have too many". My response was "which one do you want to get rid of?". I'm still waiting for an answer
That reminds me of that sign "Missing: Husband & dog -- reward for dog"... LOL! Your DH should be glad you didn't say "Well, then maybe you'll enjoy staying in the garage since it's kinda crowded in here for you"... LOL! They're like your kids... like you said, try to pick one!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by chips88 View Post
oh dont forget when the telephone rings they run to the phone as if it was for them. so cute..
I had forgotten that! When the answering machine picks up (I'm not as speedy as I need to be when I have a 60 pound dog on my lap & the phone rings... LOL!), Leo listens intently, like he's expecting a message... LOL!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie View Post
We lost both our cats this spring. One had been ill for an extended time; the other just lost her 9th life on the road in front of our house. We haven't replaced them with a new family- it has been such a relief not to be worrying all the time (and paying the vet) for the older one, but my oh my how empty the house seems with just me and DH. We'll see how long we last.
We went thru that last fall when our Yankee's seizure sjust became uncontrollable & he had to be put to sleep. It had been such worry (& expense) & we said we'd wait till summer to get another dog. Oh, the house was sooooo lonely! I was miserable! Then Leo came along in December & I dunno... I kind of felt like Yankee put him in my path. Does that sound crazy? I'm terribly, terribly for your loss. You'll know when the time is right.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by lillybeck View Post
I have 2 dogs that are part chiuaua and 1 full blooded one. They shed so much that I think I could make a new dog every day. I used to have cocker spaniels and they never shed this bad. I wil keep them all even with the carpet that of course I put in before I had the dogs.
I've had cockers, too & they NEVER shed. You'd think they would but nope...
Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Missus Fear View Post
Every day I sweep enough hair to have a new pet
Every time DH brushed Leo, he says "I think I'll just save a little bit more of this & then make a Franken-dog"... LOL! But, c'mon... you know we wouldn't trade them for all the money (or fabric!) in the world. They sure are cheaper than therapy! Besides, shrinks won't cuddle with you... LOL!