Ladies advice

Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Why not try a group? You can always quit if it doesn't work out for you. Maybe join and give yourself three months; if you still don't like it after three months, give yourself permission to leave and find something else.

I do think it is a mistake to isolate yourself. All of us benefit -- physically and emotionally -- from positive interaction with others. They've even found that smiling and saying hello to someone else results in measurable beneficial changes in physiology (that last quite awhile). Something as simple as a daily walk, even if it is the same path every day, and greeting people with a smile and a wave provide great benefits.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Maybe in your time out, you'll meet other quilters and can form a small group and make and donate to a good cause. a nursing home or such. good luck and have some fun.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:13 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Dotty, I can relate to your dilemma. It is hard when you get older, are alone, and don't drive at night, to make yourself do some of the things you used to do in years past.

Perhaps you could find a friend and make a pact to chat every other day about what new thing you did that day. Set goals for each other to try or do one new thing a week, or one week a month when you don't sew but try a new hobby. As you talk about it with your friend, I'll bet you find it easier and more interesting to DO a new thing.

I'd commit to being that friend myself, but I have months of several surgeries upcoming and I am still recovering from a torn achilles tendon surgical repair; got enough to focus on for a bit! But you go for it, okay?!!

Jan in VA
Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Absolutely! ! Sometimes it's good to take a break from quilting. It gives me more inspiration! I do other crafts as well.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:15 AM

Cool stitchquick

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I sew every day and at every second of each. Cleaning, cooking etc is second place. Do you think it would be a good idea to have a quilting break from patchwork and find another hobby or activity? I shop on line and I live alone so no one stops me getting up at 6 in the morning and quilting all day until I fall asleep. I only go out to buy more fabric go to a class or a show.
I am thinking of making a new year resolution where I have to do something different every day to quilting. Go a walk , use camera or even mix with other people. I have no family so that is no option.
I would love a quilt friend don't give up your passion I think add someone'swith it
Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Like many others have mentioned, volunteer or get a part time job that you know you would enjoy. Many good ideas.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:30 AM

I read all the really good, insightful suggestions for your quandry and tried to think of a suggestion I hadn't read yet. See about this one, if you will: How about considering blessing yourself by formating your gifts to your enjoyment and what you need?

You have a number of "gifts." I know because, you see, I have been paying attention when your comments, questions, show and tells appear on the board. How about finding a venue in which you share them? And then combine the "gifts" with whatever level of people or even critter involvement you are comfortable with?

Trying to explain what I mean is giving me a fit. So, how about personal examples? I am something of a hermit but I need mental and experiential input. From time to time as I have gone through life, I have had to find something to fill that need but the "what" and when and how and how much varied. It started with the birth of our first child. I needed to get out of the house and "do something." (My Irish grandmother used to call it "blowing the stink off.") That time I took a cooking class. Learned to make bread and sauces. Dad got to change diapers with homemade bread for a reward. One of the next times was when our neighborhood association needed a secretary. The children's museum needed a docent. I was the person who pretended to be a pioneer woman in our area of Florida. And then the kids fell in love with the zoo. I docented for the zoo. A Brazilian toad (Pavaroti) and I "grew up" together. I had an armadillo, a Boa Constrictor who was so used to being handled and kept so fed that she couldn't even think about constricting me, a ferret, and a large fish. It went on an on like that. Sewing for a drum corps. Repairing vestments for church. And most recently, a quilt guild. I was crazy to talk to someone who sewed. Now there are quilting classes. Oh, and a cat who needed rescue from abuse. She and I are about back to our "normals."

You may rest your eyes now; but, how about considering blessing yourself by formating your gifts to your enjoyment and what you need?

Pat

There, I hope that was clearer.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:32 AM

I read all the really good, insightful suggestions for your quandry and tried to think of a suggestion I hadn't read yet. See about this one, if you will: How about considering blessing yourself by formating your gifts to your enjoyment and what you need?

You have a number of "gifts." I know because, you see, I have been paying attention when your comments, questions, show and tells appear on the board. How about finding a venue in which you share them? And then combine the "gifts" with whatever level of people or even critter involvement you are comfortable with?

Trying to explain what I mean is giving me a fit. So, how about personal examples? I am something of a hermit but I need mental and experiential input. From time to time as I have gone through life, I have had to find something to fill that need but the "what" and when and how and how much varied. It started with the birth of our first child. I needed to get out of the house and "do something." (My Irish grandmother used to call it "blowing the stink off.") That time I took a cooking class. Learned to make bread and sauces. Dad got to change diapers with homemade bread for a reward. One of the next times was when our neighborhood association needed a secretary. The children's museum needed a docent. I was the person who pretended to be a pioneer woman in our area of Florida. And then the kids fell in love with the zoo. I docented for the zoo. A Brazilian toad (Pavaroti) and I "grew up" together. I had an armadillo, a Boa Constrictor who was so used to being handled and kept so fed that she couldn't even think about constricting me, a ferret, and a large fish. It went on an on like that. Sewing for a drum corps. Repairing vestments for church. And most recently, a quilt guild. I was crazy to talk to someone who sewed. Now there are quilting classes. Oh, and a cat who needed rescue from abuse. She and I are about back to our "normals."

You may rest your eyes now; but, how about considering blessing yourself by formating your gifts to your enjoyment and what you need?

Pat

There, I hope that was clearer. You may laugh at me now.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:12 AM

As we get older, it becomes more and more important to stay physically active. Is there a mall or some other shopping center around you? If so, that's a great place to just go walking, on a regular basis. There may even be a walking group, you can join. Become a 'regular' at a cookie stand or coffee shop.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:50 PM

Almost all senior centers have sewing groups. Check into them.