Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for book recommendations >

Looking for book recommendations

Looking for book recommendations

Old 04-07-2017, 05:56 AM

There is kindle unlimited to subscribe to. You can have up to 10 books at a time. Not all are great but some are really good.
Not sure how to subscribe but just Google kindle unlimited and that should get your there.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:06 AM

Register for bookbub, you get sent cheap/ free books every day. I love the Dana Stabenow Kate Shugak books. , also the Susan Kiernan-Lewis Maggie Newberry mysteries and the a Stella Ryan books
Old 04-07-2017, 07:32 AM

[QUOTE=Wildernessties;7799684]I will be undergoing hip replacement surgery the end of this month so I will have some time to read as I recuperate so I'm looking for some reading recommendations. I don't want to spend a fortune on books but I can get most used on Amazon. I thought I saw somewhere that you can "borrow" books on Prime. Has anyone done this or do you know how it works?]

If you like Christian fiction, Dee Henderson, Terri Blackstock, Karen Kingsbury, Lauraine Snelling, Lynn Austin, and many others are excellent writers and write books with more depth than just a romantic story.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:40 AM

I am reading "The Shack" and had a hard time putting it down last night.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

DH and I used to pick up 4-6 books every time we shopped at Costco. We finally decided that was silly and started using our local library. I love looking for the books I want to read online, reserving them online, and renewing them online if necessary. I haven't ventured into e-books yet, but I'm sure that's coming. Then I won't even have to go to the library to pick them up and return them!
Old 04-07-2017, 09:12 AM

If you have a e-reader (like Kindle) you can subscribe for free to BookBub. They will send you an e-mail each day with a list of free or low cost books you can download based on the genre you specify. If you like mysteries you'll get suggestions of mysteries etc. You can also borrow books for free from Amazon Prime on your Kindle and as said earlier most libraries have e-books that can be downloaded for free. Amazon also has a list of 100 free books that changes all the time so you could check that out as well.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:34 AM

Good Will is a good place to get books. Each wk they have a color that is half off for the wk. That is where I get my books, only buy the half off. Sometimes I may get 6-8 and sometimes 12 or so. When I read them all, I re-donate them and get more.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by PABerard View Post
I like all books by Jeffrey Archer, but especially "As the Crow Flies" and the seven books in his "Clifton Chronicle" series. Good luck on your surgery. I hope you have a quick recovery
I have to agree with the Clifton Chronicle series, I have not read the other but will check it out. Speedy recovery.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:02 AM

I'm old school and like a real book. I buy mine at the local used book store. I take them back after I've read them for credit. Garage sales are also good places to find books. I can usually get hardbacks for $1 - $2 and paperbacks for 25 or 50 cents. I'm going to be on the lookout for them tomorrow at the neighborhood garage sale.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

The last really good book I read was The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. Really interesting and well written. The author never wrote another book...just this one.

I also highly recommend Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani. AWESOME story. Just loved it. I think it was her best.

All the books by Jan Karon are wonderful and delightfully written. If you haven't read any of her books, start with At Home in Mitford. Although the author is a female, she writes in first person as a man character, Father Tim.

Hope all goes well with your surgery. Do your exercises afterwards!