Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

I was an idiot last week and weeded my garden without gloves. Ended up with poison ivy all over my hand, between my fingers, and it's creeping over the rest of my body. It's driving me CRAAAZZZZEEEEEE. I wonder if anyone has any sure-fire treatments to kill this stuff. I'm heading to the beach for a camping trip this Sunday, and I just want it GONE.

Thanks in advance. :roll:

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    The doctor gives me a shot and it clears pretty fast but avoidance is certainly the right answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    The doctor gives me a shot and it clears pretty fast but avoidance is certainly the right answer!
    ha ha, OR a time machine!!! :thumbup:

Selsan Blue dandruff shampoo really helps with ivy and bug bites - just dab it on and let it dry.

Lifebuoy soap -- if you can find some.

I'm not good knowing the names of medicines. I used to get poison ivy every spring - I know it's miserable. My doctor gave me a prescription for pills that came in a pack. The first day, you take seven pills, the next day six, the next day five, etc. By the second day, I felt much relief. Sorry I don't know what they are called.

Dawn Dish Soap works amazingly well to dry it up
    Hugs
    April

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    I was an idiot last week and weeded my garden without gloves. Ended up with poison ivy all over my hand, between my fingers, and it's creeping over the rest of my body. It's driving me CRAAAZZZZEEEEEE. I wonder if anyone has any sure-fire treatments to kill this stuff. I'm heading to the beach for a camping trip this Sunday, and I just want it GONE.

Thanks in advance. :roll:
    Four things ...
    1. A trip to the Dr is the best advice
    2. Beware you are not re-infecting yourself or others ... personal hygiene, linens, towels, clothing, etc.
    3. Time !
    4. And ........... Patience!!!!

So sorry you have to deal with it, but no choice now, right?

I've read doctors typically give prednisone, but also read there's a lot of side affects. I tried soaking in REALLY hot water with bleach, but now I've read bleach is a no-no. Still didn't work. Also tried jewel weed, which from what I read is a natural remedy but that didn't work, either. *sigh*

Ok - I have years of experience with this- found the best over the counter medicine that works for me - it is called Domboro - it is available at most drug stores - it is a powder that you add to water - then soak a washcloth in it - then you apply the washcloth to the affected area - it works very well - and do not exceed the time period on the box - otherwise it can make it too dry and itchy - usually clears up the site within 24-48hrs. Good luck..

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast