Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy??? >

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Old 08-04-2011, 11:15 AM

My son is highly allergic to poison since he was a kid. I always gave him a bath in epsom salts and it dried right up.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:35 AM

If you know your plants and are in the country, wild touch-me-not is sure-fire. I know, I know. You're saying old wife's tale, well, I'm an old wife, and in the hills of Kentucky, that's what we use and it really works.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by KyKat
If you know your plants and are in the country, wild touch-me-not is sure-fire. I know, I know. You're saying old wife's tale, well, I'm an old wife, and in the hills of Kentucky, that's what we use and it really works.
I do live in the country, and I also know the Touch Me Not plants. They worked GREAT for DD's poison last week, but for some reason not mine!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
SEW

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I'm not good knowing the names of medicines. I used to get poison ivy every spring - I know it's miserable. My doctor gave me a prescription for pills that came in a pack. The first day, you take seven pills, the next day six, the next day five, etc. By the second day, I felt much relief. Sorry I don't know what they are called.
It is called Prednisone....the only thing that works for me.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Whining incessantly worked for me. My dad got tired of listening to me and took me to the doctor. They gave me a shot of something (I don't know what - I was 15 - could have been the prednisone everyone is referring to), told me to cover the rash in calomine lotion, and it was gone by the next day. But I attribute my healing to the whining, 'cause if I hadn't who knows how long it would have taken?! :)
Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Predisone. other name is medrol dose pack.

I'm not good knowing the names of medicines. I used to get poison ivy every spring - I know it's miserable. My doctor gave me a prescription for pills that came in a pack. The first day, you take seven pills, the next day six, the next day five, etc. By the second day, I felt much relief. Sorry I don't know what they are called.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by onthelake
Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I was an idiot last week and weeded my garden without gloves. Ended up with poison ivy all over my hand, between my fingers, and it's creeping over the rest of my body. It's driving me CRAAAZZZZEEEEEE. I wonder if anyone has any sure-fire treatments to kill this stuff. I'm heading to the beach for a camping trip this Sunday, and I just want it GONE.

Thanks in advance. :roll:
Four things ...
1. A trip to the Dr is the best advice
2. Beware you are not re-infecting yourself or others ... personal hygiene, linens, towels, clothing, etc.
3. Time !
4. And ........... Patience!!!!

So sorry you have to deal with it, but no choice now, right?
I hope you have followed the advice in step #1!! I've learned the hard way, take the side effects and get the shot and treatment following. I think it goes systemic on me and begins breaking out in other places. Get some help!!
PS - Hot water baths are a NO, NO.
Yes ... and I would suspect the heat of the current weather and brightness of the sun, may not be advisable. Again, to the Dr. and be treated properly!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM

Sounds like a steroid med pack...
Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM

my father-in-law use to pour bleach on it...burns like a son-of-a-gun, but he says it works. Personally, I'd be afraid to try it, but he was from the old-school.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:10 PM

I am just getting over some--there was something in my garden that didn't like me. Problem is--it's not on my hands, arms, or legs, it's on my sides, and right buttock. Oh--and it started under my chin. :roll: I got it through clothing on the lower ones, and the sides baffled me, but I have all too big t-shirts and I reach at the sides to fold them up a lot. That must be how I got it. Mine turned into welts--looked like I'd been beaten. It itched horribly twice a day--I kept Cortisone on it at all times. While it's oozing, Calamine lotion is best. I did go to the doc, and she offered pills and a stronger Cortisone, but I knew it was on the way out, so declined.

Sigh... my garden will just have to do what it's going to do because I don't know what the weed was that did this and I'm not going near it.