Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy??? >

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Old 08-04-2011, 11:57 PM

Hope you are better in time for your trip. Back in my younger days I was always riding horses. For three summers I would get poison ivy around my watch area which I wore on my left arm face up on the inside of my wrist. I was told to try making a soft paste from Fels Naptha laundry bar soap and dab it liberally over the area and let it dry. Reapply as needed and it would dry it up in a couple days. At the end of riding I always picked up the horses hoof as I cleaned all four with a pick to be sure no stones were embedded in the hoof area and that perhaps the horse had walked thru poison ivy and I transferred it to me. It was strange because it was always directly around the watch on my left arm. I started carrying my watch in my pocket and never got it again. The soap always worked for me.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 AM

Oh my, I get it real bad too. I use a wash called TecNu right away if I suspect I've been it in. Hardly anything works for me. An old-timer told me a while back that his Mom put old time white shoe polish on it for them. Haven't tried it and hope I don't have too!
One year I got it everytime I pulled weeds. After 2 years I realized it was in the bagged mulch I had put in the flower beds. The olis are active for 6 years after the plant is dead.
Good luck.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 AM

I agree that you should go to a doctor, or you will be suffering for a while. This can take a week or more to clear up. Hope your trip goes well.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I was an idiot last week and weeded my garden without gloves. Ended up with poison ivy all over my hand, between my fingers, and it's creeping over the rest of my body. It's driving me CRAAAZZZZEEEEEE. I wonder if anyone has any sure-fire treatments to kill this stuff. I'm heading to the beach for a camping trip this Sunday, and I just want it GONE.

Thanks in advance. :roll:
I HAVE HARD OF USING ARRI X DRY DEORANT YELLOW CAN SPRAY IT ON IT,ALSO TAKE CREEK WILLOW BARK AND BOIL IT THEN LET IT COOL AND PUT IT ON IT MY BIL SWEARS BY THE WILLOW BARK GOOD LUCK.THANK MY GOD I AM NOT ALLERGIC TO IT AT ALL BUT I DO HAVE SEVERE ALLERGIES,ASTHMA ,CHRONIC BRONCHITIS
Old 08-05-2011, 03:40 AM

cut to the chase! go to the doctor and get medication. over the counter cures are fine but yours sounds nasty and for nasty you need real meds.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by frarose
I have found that once you get PI it takes time to go away unless you have a super bad case and then the Dr is the best bet. They give prednisone for it. Before DH retired from the railroad they gave out something called TENU - a wash and a liquid. Worked wonderfully but I have never found it at the store. When I work outside, I always come in wash my clothes and take a bath with lye soap right away because it washes away the oils of Poison Ivy. My son is allergic to it gets it where it spreads all over his body and swells. He has to get shots.
wal Mart carried it some still do also same the the Family dollar
I get close to the stuff and break out Tenu works well and coratzone creams
Old 08-05-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I'm not good knowing the names of medicines. I used to get poison ivy every spring - I know it's miserable. My doctor gave me a prescription for pills that came in a pack. The first day, you take seven pills, the next day six, the next day five, etc. By the second day, I felt much relief. Sorry I don't know what they are called.
Those "miracle" packs are called Z-Packs...they are steroids and are used for many different temporary illness and rashes. And yes, they work wonders on poison ivy...ask you doctor about them.

Here at my farm, we wash with Dawn Dishwashing liquid as soon as we are inside, and treat it with Iverest lotion....great stuff and my last bit of poison ivy was gone in three to four days.

Now any of you own goats??? This heat has cause foot rot to set in in one of our pygmies. Having a terrible time with it. If you have any ideas or suggestions on dealing with this, pm me...and thanks in advance.....
Old 08-05-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cyn
The doctor gives me a shot and it clears pretty fast
Same with me. Nothing else I have done works as well. The itch is just unbearable and I have gotten it so many times it is like my body has a memory and breaks out all over not in just one spot! Ann in TN
Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 AM

Clorox . wash your hands in pure clorox. it will dry it up.I know that is what I use. works everytime
Old 08-05-2011, 04:18 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
Dawn Dish Soap works amazingly well to dry it up
Hugs
April
YES IT DOES, ask me how I know. :shock: