Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy??? >

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Old 08-05-2011, 04:26 AM

I'd try Tecnu
Old 08-05-2011, 04:29 AM

Go to the doctor right away, and get the shot. For over-the-counter stuff, try Zanfel. Not cheap, but it really works if you follow the directions.

Hope you're better soon. Poison ivy is miserable!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I'm not good knowing the names of medicines. I used to get poison ivy every spring - I know it's miserable. My doctor gave me a prescription for pills that came in a pack. The first day, you take seven pills, the next day six, the next day five, etc. By the second day, I felt much relief. Sorry I don't know what they are called.
I think that's a steriod pack.

I would go to the doctor especially because you're going away this weekend.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 AM

You said you are going to the beach, the saltwater is a miracle cure for poison ivy.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:50 AM

Everyone seems to have something they depend on [ somewhat like birth control ) I depend on the steroid med pack and the only side effect I had was an increased appetite, but then I prefer a medical doctor to home remedies every time. I do know that every time you get PI you become more sensitive to it and each case can become much more severe than the last case.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 AM

NAPTHA GAS (it's also call white gas or camp stove gas)

Call me crazy but it worked for my Grandparents, my Dad and everyone else in our family and our friends who visited us at our cottage.

Many years ago when my Grandparents and my Dad were clearing the land (very dense bush and COVERED with Poison Ivy) even though they took precautions to cover their skin, they would still get exposed to the poison ivy oil.

My Grandfather discovered when he took a cloth soaked in Naptha Gas and gently rubbed it over the infected area, the gas would immediately remove the poison ivy oil and dry up the rash and any blisters which had started to form - the poison ivy rash went away immediately and did not itch. The Naptha Gas dries out the oil and removes what has gotten into your skin pores. He would wash the area with soap and water after about 10 minutes or so. There was never a side effect to this treatment and was the only thing that would work - especially since there was so much ivy around and next to impossible to avoid contact with.

My Dad & Mom carried on using this method on my sister and I whenever we came in contact with poison ivy and we never suffered from it.

I continued this method and tradition with my children and my children are continuing it with theirs.

;) ;)
Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 AM

This is not recommended, but I use straight Clorox. I am SO allergic to PI, I usually end up at the doctor getting a shot and pills. I found out the hard way while gathering my husband's hunting clothes to wash them...I was getting it off his clothes. Also get it on my legs from my outdoor dogs.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis
Ok - I have years of experience with this- found the best over the counter medicine that works for me - it is called Domboro - it is available at most drug stores - it is a powder that you add to water - then soak a washcloth in it - then you apply the washcloth to the affected area - it works very well - and do not exceed the time period on the box - otherwise it can make it too dry and itchy - usually clears up the site within 24-48hrs. Good luck..
This is so true!!! Works like she said. But when I used it, it was by prescription only. Good Luck!!!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:45 AM

I just got poison ivy last week and it crept everywhere. Used all kinds of creams, got some meds from the doctor....nothing worked. Talked to my daughter and she said to dab some pure bleach on it. So I did and it dried it up asap. Later that day, I was with some of my friends who live in a rural area and they said 'bleach it'. I used a cotton swab and put the bleach directly on each spot, I did not just bathe in the bleach. Be very careful of your clothing etc. My arms and hands are now clear of the poison ivy.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:52 AM

Old fashioned Fels Napha soap ... wash thoroughly as soon as you know you've touched it. It removes the oils the poison ivy leaves on your skin. DH is very allergic and Dr gives him a shot to counteract.