Men and Directions

Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Default Men and Directions

So yesterday my husband and I were traveling and we were using my Garmin for directions. My husband is one of those guys who would rather be lost than ask for directions. Anyway he was driving along yesterday and suddenly decided that the GPS device was giving him incorrect directions, so he followed his instincts and took an exit when he wasn't supposed to take. Then of course "Jill" recalculated and led him back to the correct route. Here's the funny thing; I immediately recognized the exit he took and realized that he had done this exact same thing when we traveled this route several years ago. It was hard not to laugh, but I knew he would be offended if I did, so I kept quite. My husband is one of the smartest men I've ever known, and let me just say he is determined when he thinks he's right. I'll bet some of you can relate or have stories of your own, or at the very least, you'll find this amuzing.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

When I was a student pilot, while flying, I watched 5 guys approach a small airport north of Los Angeles in the wrong direction. I had a small book on local airports and the way to approach the airport for landing. We were all student pilots and had to go look for someone to sign our log books that we actually flew to that airport. The old man asked "who flew the Cherokee airplane". I said it was me and then he proceed to scold all the guys of how I was the only one who correctly approached this airport. I kept a very straight face but was chuckling inside. I think it is just buried somewhere in their DNA!
Old 07-03-2016, 12:31 PM

I don't understand what it is about men that they refuse to ask for directions.. My husband is the same.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a very good sense of direction - and I am quite willing to ask for directions when I get misplaced.

But DH is not willing to ask - until we get very misplaced!
Old 07-03-2016, 12:45 PM

My husband is the only male I know that will admit he's directionally challenged (and no, he won't ask for directions). We joke that he can bend over to tie his shoes and when he stands he doesn't know where he is. What cracks me up is when a man walks up to us and asks him for directions. Husband points to me and says, "she gives excellent directions, I can't find my way out of a paper bag." The man will keep looking at him and trying to talk to him while I'm giving directions.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:55 PM

My husband drove a tank in the Army. He could find his way in the dark following those charts. But a map, on a road he's always lost. We rented a house in Ireland for ten days and every single time he had to go through the driving circle to get back to the house he went one road too far around and ended up in the grocery store parking lot. My niece could not believe it. She kept saying, "He'll get it right this time won't he?" Nope, never did.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:56 PM

The wrong route is called the scenic route in my family.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:52 PM

My ex was one of those fellows. After we had exited to get turned around the other way we were still going the other way. He wouldn't believe me that we were still going west even when I pointed out that we were still driving into the evening sun. Twenty miles later as we approached the next exit I spotted the signage that said west and asked if we were driving east why did the signage say this was xxx west? He finally conceded and we turned around and were only fifty miles from our original mistake. His mantra was I'm always right until you PROVE me wrong. Made for some interesting situations.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:00 PM

My husband's motto is:

I wander about until I find where we need to be.

When we travel or just take a day trip. We wander off the beaten path, discovering new places, look at the beautiful scenery. Eventually we end up where we started out to.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:17 PM

My husband is the worst about asking directions! And on top of that he has no sense of direction himself. Many years ago when we hadn't been married very long (and I hadn't realized how bad he was about direction) we were going to his brother's house for Thanksgiving. We had my mom with us and she was in the back seat. On the way over, I asked him if he remembered how to get to his brother's house (they hadn't had the house long and we had only been there one time), he said he remembered is was on the south side of I-10. I knew we were in trouble then because I distinctly remembered it as being north of I-10.

After wandering around for 45 minutes, I finally said 'why don't you call and get directions?" He calls talks for a bit and says "Okay, we'll be there in a few minutes". We drive off and I ask him what street we're looking for so I can help look. He says "I don't remember". Um, okay. So then I ask how we are going to find it if he doesn't remember and he says "I'm not sure". At this point, I glance in the back seat and my mom is literally laying down on the seat laughing. It was all I could do not to laugh, too. After 2 more phone calls and a bunch of wrong turns we finally got there. That was the last time I let him navigate his way anywhere.