Men and Directions

Old 07-03-2016, 03:45 PM

Sheltiesmom and cashs mom, You girls both are both so funny. I had a good belly laugh from your stories. Maniacquilter, you are my hero! I have always wanted to learn to fly a plane. There is a small airport near my house and they offer flying lessons. If I get my nerve up I might just take the plunge. I am in awe of you!
Old 07-03-2016, 04:17 PM

I will use the GPS app on my phone the first time I drive to a new destination. It 'talks' through my stereo, which is handy. I generally have a very good sense of direction, both to routes as well as to North, South, East, West. I was somewhat discombobulated in New Zealand where I was driving on the left side of the road and the sun was to the north.

I am also very good at giving directions. It was my job for 3 years (prior to GPS) and I soon learned some people needed land marks (Turn left at the green house), some need compass points, (turn West in 3 miles), some needed the route highlighted on a map.

I however will only turn the app on once I have got as far as I know the route. I cannot stand listening to it nattering away.

My ex, got a stand alone GSP and insisted on using it even on regular familiar routes. Even when on a highway that we would be following for 500 miles (for the 12th time) he would have it nattering away. I tended to do a bit more than half the driving and told him the @%#* GPS could not be on while I was driving, or I was tossing it out the window.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:38 PM

Probably typical for most men. My husband refuses to ask for directions, even when I encourage him to stop. By the way, my youngest son is employed by Garmin and has done the detailed work on many of their products, including a watch - pedometer - heart monitor he got for me.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

We must have the same hubby. LOL
Old 07-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

I am very bad at directions and absolutely no directional ability at all. I have problems following my GPS. Nighttime is even worse. I don't stop to ask directions, my Husband has usually been drinking and is no help.
I will stop going places I am not familiar with when it is dark.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:15 PM

Mine is the same way. No way will he stop and ask. He will spend a lot of time looking for the sun to see which way we are going. Says the sun should be there or there. If it isn't we turn around. When it is cloudy, we take a few tours. ha,ha. And I am the worst map reader. I just won't read one.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:49 PM

I read an article in Reader's Digest years ago that said women were statistically landmark people, while men prefer compass points and actual route directions.

I am excellent at reading maps. I have driven many trips across the country (some of them by myself) and I plotted my routes out and used an atlas for many of them. However, I prefer to use my Garmin. I don't mind listening to it. In fact, I find it comforting when I am traveling alone.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth View Post
Probably typical for most men. My husband refuses to ask for directions, even when I encourage him to stop. By the way, my youngest son is employed by Garmin and has done the detailed work on many of their products, including a watch - pedometer - heart monitor he got for me.
We've had 2 Garmins. Awesome products. I have a corvette with the GM nav system. It's not nearly as good as the Garmin.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:12 PM

I'm so jealous of your Corvette! My dream car when I was younger was a Corvette Stingray. I hope it's candy red.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:56 PM

My DH is the odd man out!! He drives me crazy....he can find his way anywhere. Early in our marriage he drove a repair truck and learned streets backwards and forwards! I'm the directionally challenged one. No matter which way I turn, it is ALWAYS the wrong way!! I need written directions, specifying left, or right, not east or west. Maybe I need a Garmin or GPS!