Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A Mental approach to sewing >

A Mental approach to sewing

A Mental approach to sewing

Old 03-16-2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
That is totally my approach in how I sew ....NOT!! Reminds me of June Cleaver
June Cleaver sewed?????????????? tee hee!!!!!! I don't think so. She might have dropped a snipped thread on the floor then Ward and the boys would have gone ape.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:43 PM

Is this not true to life.?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:01 AM

It is funny now but it was the mentality in the 50s. I think that there is a bit of truth there, I do feel more like sewing when the necessary work is done and the house is clean. Not so sure about the powder and lipstick though! If my husband came home and I was sewing- he would cheer me on, he encourages me to spend lots of time in my studio.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:50 AM

I laugh every time I read that article -- yes, times have changed, at least in what is worn as daily wear -- me in a dress to sew, no way -- grew up in the 50s and remember that my mother and her friends did wear dresses then, but they were into pants by the 60s and 70s -- it would be nice to have a clean house though and no guilt feelings about what is not done!!
Old 03-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Would never get to the sewing part if I followed the above guidelines !!!
Old 03-17-2014, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

When I bought my Singer treadle, I enjoyed reading the manual that came with it and it was so different from English that I learned in school. I also have some letters written to my Grandmother from her Grandfather. It is amazing how the basic structure of our language changes slightly over each decade.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If my husband came home and found me in a dress with the beds made and house cleaning done, powder and lipstick on - he would think he was in the wrong house!
Love this Dunster, made my day !! OMG, thank goodness "we've come a long way, baby".
Old 03-18-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by callen View Post
Love this Dunster, made my day !! OMG, thank goodness "we've come a long way, baby".
Have we? Really? Guess to be fair you'd have to try it the other way first. You might just be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Hair in order ? Pffftttt Jammies, slippers and lucky if I do comb my hair on sewing days !LOL Lipstick ? Who am I gonna impress? the material ? the dog ? the cat? (they both would be rolling in the hallway, laughing till their sides hurt if I did those !LOL-and I thought they were around for my amusement !LOL).

DH would wonder if I had been kidnapped by aliens and replaced if I ever showed up like the description .. Beds made ? with him in it !LOL house cleaning done-hmm .. let me see if the cat and dog have done their chores for the day .. LOL and we all know the answer to that one !LOL LOL LOL :-)
Old 03-18-2014, 11:56 AM

I'm often complaining about too many electronic gizmos, distractions and the fast paced world around me. Reading this sure put it in perfect perspective. No wonder my quilts are not prize worthy, I'm not wearing a dress and lipstick while sewing. I grew up in the 50's with a stay at home Mom. Is this really the propaganda women were handed? Reminds me of the old saying "all dressed up and nowhere to go". Guess it was important to give a good impression to hubby, kiddies, Avon and the Fuller Brush Man.