Must be a new phone scam.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:21 AM

I got one from a local number that was a credit card interest reduction. I called the number and it was a local daycare.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:53 AM

I don't have a landline in my new place, just my cell which is a Tracfone with limited minutes. Only gave the number to a few people - even my sister, I told her, don't call to just chit-chat!!

I got an app that allows me to block any number that calls me. So when I get a call from an unknown number, I look up the number online, it is usually a spam or scam, then I block it (evil laugh here....) I never seem to get to the phone in time to actually answer it anyway.

My sister, who does have a landline, was getting besieged with marketing calls. They got a device that hooks into the phone line - when someone calls, they are told to press one to continue. The robocalls dont do that and they get disconnected. So when I am at her house, I hear a lot of "one ring and done." That is another robocall getting cut off. She can add number s from people she knows, to a white list and they don't have to go through that.

Last edited by ptquilts; 05-21-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:01 AM

I was getting calls as early as 6 am with a little bleep when I answered. If no one answers my one time hello, I hang up. But there was just too many calls. The operator told me I could block these calls by pressing *60, then hanging up. So any unknown, nuisance callers get the *60 treatment.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:24 AM

I don't answer any calls with weird numbers that I don't recognize - the scammers are out there for sure. Sometimes I get three a day. All from local, long distance and even got a couple from overseas. It's horrible! Plus even if you put your number on the "do not call list" they still call.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:41 AM

I have been getting them too and more calls on my cell. Wish people would get a REAL job!
Old 05-21-2017, 07:42 AM

Oh I got one at 2 A.M. Like really? Foreign voices in the background too. So frustrating.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Yes, I'm getting those also. I don't answer anything that I don't recognize or already have programmed in my phone as a contact. Anyone who is not a contact can leave a message. I got a message the other day that said since I stayed in their hotel recently I have won a cruise. Well let me tell you .... the last time I stayed in any hotel/motel was about 30 years ago!
I got that one. It said my Marriott confirmation number had been picked at random. I haven't stayed at a Marriott in 15 years!
Old 05-21-2017, 10:40 AM

You know, it's kind of frightening that we don't even feel we can answer a call from our own exchange. What if it was from a real person needing to get hold of me? There are some (mainly older) folks who won't leave a message. I guess they feel put on the spot.
It sure could add to the feeling of isolation in these modern times!
Old 05-21-2017, 11:15 AM

I get those calls and also some that give numbers of local schools and business. We have had several that our name and number comes up on caller I D. I got one last week that was from the U S Government and when I answered it they were selling something not the government. I also got two that came up a local Air force base. When I answered it, it was just a telemarketer. I told her she should go to jail for using that number just to get people to answer their phones. That one never called back after I told her that. They have learned that people don't answer when they don't know the caller so they try to trick us.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:39 PM

on our news channel the other night was a warning on these spam calls I do not remember the country doing this but they ex[pained how they have come up with a way to get your local state and area codes to make it look real so you will answer and they main thing they are looking for is for you to say yes as they tape this and use certain places where you say yes for all kinds of things so the important thing is never talk to a scammer hang up immediently it is so sad their are people like this