Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Letter to the Editor (a work in progress. Need ideas on how to finish) >

My Letter to the Editor (a work in progress. Need ideas on how to finish)

My Letter to the Editor (a work in progress. Need ideas on how to finish)

Old 04-08-2010, 07:12 PM

I've been trying to write a Letter to the Editor to encourage other gardeners in my area to plant extra to help those less fortunate. I think I have a good start, but I'm not sure how to finish it. Here's what I got so far:

When many people think of hunger their minds go to the image of a little boy from Africa suffering from starvation and malnutrition. However, hunger isn't a problem that only occurs in a far off third world country. Its happening here in America, a land that's supposed to be of oppurtunity and wealth, as more people nowadays struggle to make ends meet. And its not only occuring in bigger cities where the problem is more apparent. Its a problem that's even reached in small towns like Black River Falls.

According to the US Department of Agriculture, one in six Americans experiance or are at risk of hunger---that's over 50 million people! Some of these Americans have to make a painful choice between getting their next meal or paying the bills, deciding to forgo food because it seems easier to deal with hunger than threatening letters from the landlord or the electric company. Some of these Americans are children who go hungry during the weekend because home doesn't offer free meals like their school does during lunch hour.

Hunger is a problem in our country----no, its a tradegy. A tradegy because we could be doing more to help. WE're wuick to donate money and organize televised charity events when natural disaster strikes in other countries, but we don't seem to jump the gun to help our own citizens with problems that haven't suddenly happened like an earthquake or tsunami.

Gardeners could really be valueable in easing the burden of those who've fallen on tough times. I encourage ever gardener to utilize their skills to help those in need. In the next few weeks when you're getting your gardens ready plant a little extra to donate to groups such as Friends Sharing Food or people you personally know who are having trouble getting by. Planting an extra row or even just afew extra plants in your garden can make a big differece for someone less fortunate. If you personally know someone who is having trouble getting by food wise, teach them how to grow their own food----whether it be a sizable garden in their own backyard or a single plant from a large flower pot.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Google Goddess

sounds good so far
Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 PM

You have a great idea for a good cause and I think you will motivate others with your letter. Good luck and let us know how this goes.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 PM

You could encourage them to contact their local Extension Office if they need more help in learning how to garden. They may have free information at the office, or online, telling how to grow specific plants. Also, They may have a Master Gardener program. MG's are trained volunteers for the Extension program, and sometimes give great workshops or one on one help. Or.. maybe you could talk with the Master Gardeners and see if you could collectivly hold a hands on workshop on how to start gardening. Master Gardeners LOVE to share their knowledge, and their services are free. They may just need a spark of an idea.
Also google "Plant a Row" and see what you find. It is a program started by the Garden Writers Association in an effort to get people to plant extra... just like you are doing.
I wish you the best of success with your endeavor.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Sounds good!!
I did notice a small typo that you may want to fix!
. WE're wuick to donate money

I'm sure that you want it to say "quick"
you may also want to just say We're without the capital E
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Sounds good!!
I did notice a small typo that you may want to fix!
. WE're wuick to donate money

I'm sure that you want it to say "quick"
you may also want to just say We're without the capital E
It has the correct spelling on the paper I originally wrote it on and I just typed it on here to show you guys. Guess I typed a little too fast at that part.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
You could encourage them to contact their local Extension Office if they need more help in learning how to garden. They may have free information at the office, or online, telling how to grow specific plants. Also, They may have a Master Gardener program. MG's are trained volunteers for the Extension program, and sometimes give great workshops or one on one help. Or.. maybe you could talk with the Master Gardeners and see if you could collectivly hold a hands on workshop on how to start gardening. Master Gardeners LOVE to share their knowledge, and their services are free. They may just need a spark of an idea.
Also google "Plant a Row" and see what you find. It is a program started by the Garden Writers Association in an effort to get people to plant extra... just like you are doing.
I wish you the best of success with your endeavor.
Oh! I hadn't thought of that! Thanks!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
You have a great idea for a good cause and I think you will motivate others with your letter. Good luck and let us know how this goes.
Better yet, if it makes the paper I'll be sure to post a scan. :)
Old 04-08-2010, 08:16 PM

Also one other little typo just in case the spell check didn't pick it up. Experience not experiance :) First line second paragraph. Sounds great!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Sorry to join the pile-on, but typos do grate on me, and I don't think the word "tragedy" is spelled the same way twice through the entire thing. I strongly recommend spell-check before sending. I tend to assign lower credibility to something carelessly written, since I find myself thinking if the writer didn't care enough to check spelling, typing, grammar, and such, I probably shouldn't care enough to take it seriously.

[ETA: also caught "a few" run together as one word and a misspelling of "valuable". Good basic letter, but I'm sure I'm not the only reader who gets too distracted by spelling/typing errors to focus on content.]