Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need help keeping 5 YO Entertained !?! >

Need help keeping 5 YO Entertained !?!

Need help keeping 5 YO Entertained !?!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

I am helping my brother today, tomorrow and Friday :roll: I am keeping his 5 year old daughter. She likes to be kept busy :lol: UUHHH my baby is 26 , soon to be 27 and a boy . Already in the first 2 hours we made a tie blanket with pillow to match, read two chapters of a book, ate a donut, washed my front porch chairs and water the flowers, grass and herself. It is cool in the 60's here and rainy :shock: Soon we will go and get lunch . What else can I do ?

She wants to learn to sew, what can I start out with ?

She wants to pick out a face so here it is :twisted: Sorry, have to keep her happy :wink:

Any and all suggestions GREATLY appreciated
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 AM

Little girls love to help in the kitchen, cookies are an all time favorite. Get a movie...
Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 AM

Parks are always great! Making something in the kitchen and maybe even sewing up some 9-patches :-) My four year old is high energy and enjoys these things-Good Luck it is hard to keep up lol
Hugs
April
Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 AM

I have a friend whos little girl LOVES to hand me the needles when I sew... makes her happy and keeps her hands AWAY from the needle. We also make cookies and cake together.... ummm last time she was here I let her go through my entire stash and picked fabrics and we made here baby doll a blanket. I cut them all in to bricks and she organized them on the floor how they would go in the blanket and then she had to hand them to me to sew....took up some time... she has been asking her mother when they are coming back to my house her doll needs a new blanket. GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Now that I'm older, I like entertaining a young child for about half a day then after that it's go entertain yourself with your toys until dinner time. If it's summertime I found every small child I have ever been around will LOVE to wash your car. Give them a water hose, a bucket of suds and stay out of their way.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 AM

spring break can be a bitch ;-)
Old 04-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

OMG Sharon, you have your hands full! Go to the store and buy her a couple of dolls and play dolls.

Dance with her. And if all else fails put her down for a nap so you can breathe :lol: .
Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Pam

Get her the plastic needlepoint canvas some yarn and a big needle. My daughter made me many treasures with those things.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Print out some coloring book pages, houses or other things with simple straight lines. Set your stitch length as long as you can and let her practice stitching on the lines. Draw straight lines on paper and let her stitch decorative stitches on the lines, just widen out the stitch and lengthen it too, pick ones that aren't really tight designs, At the same time you are teaching her how to safely use the sewing machine. Then move onto sewing 6 1/2" inch blocks together... 4 blocks by 6 blocks would make a nice sized blanket and would let you see how interested she really is in sewing....

Since you sew clothes, sewing some simple aprons for her dolls would be fun, as well as other items, pillows to go with her doll quilt, etc... :D:D:D

Maybe give her some scraps and a needle and thread too... glue baste the blocks seam lines together and then draw a seam line on them for her as a sewing guide. Keep doing this until she has a doll quilt top together.

Embroider out designs for a doll quilt blocks/doll aprons... watching the machine stitch out should keep her fascinated, it still does me!!! LMBO

Scissors, old magazines, elmers glue and copy paper....

Play dough make from flour and salt, she can help to make it.

I throw the makings for bread in my bread maker... when the dough is made, I let the kids knead and play with a little of it, and then help to shape the rest into fun shaped dinner rolls. Sometimes we roll out little pieces and spread on a little margarine, sugar and cinnamon and then we roll them into logs, fold them over a couple of times and pinch the edges, use round cookie cutters, whatever comes to mind and let them rise and bake. I have also added chopped up fresh fruit to these too :wink:
Old 04-07-2010, 09:19 AM

get her a pot holder weaving kit. They are inexpensive and kids love them. It makes them feel great when they have made something themselves. If you want to teach her to sew, start with scrap blocks or strips. You would be amazed at what they can accomplish. Baking is always a hit with my DGS's.