Nest Thermostat

Old 09-26-2015, 07:09 PM

We enrolled in an energy survey/ Nest thermostat trial last fall. A private contractor installed the Nest and advised us to keep the unit we had been using. Everything went as smooth as silk. In fact, we have never been so comfortable in our home. We have a home which had been insulated to electric heat standards in 1977. Our windows and doors are in excellent condition. Since we are retired, someone was usually home during the day so we were told we probably wouldn't see any large energy savings.

Everything went smoothly until we needed to use the AC late this spring. We don't know why it the unit turned completely off. Hubby reinstalled the original unit. The person at the survey/trial center was exceptionally nice, efficient and arranged for our local heating/ air conditioning contractor to service the Nest. (We re-installed our own thermostat because we didn't want to saddle the center with a high bill for weekend service.)

Our local contractor came to check out the settings. Nothing seemed to work at first and when he was ready to order a new unit, the darned thing started working! The difficulty that we discovered is that there is very little info available about using the unit!!! Installation instructions are great but we didn't have the use and care book nor could we secure info from the web.

We've been comfortable now both winter and summer. Price at the big orange box is about $250. We don't have a smart phone. I probably would not invest in the Nest if we had to buy our own because the price is so high. Otherwise, I like it. :-)
Old 09-27-2015, 04:43 AM

I have an EcoBee which is another brand of smart thermostat. I like that I can control and check things from my phone when I'm away. There was a learning curve to be able to program it. We got it free as part of an energy package offer through our utility company. I'm not in love with it any more than the programmable one it replaced which was easier to over ride if we had a change in schedule. My son has a Nest and loves it. He's an "Apple" type guy who has his whole house (sound, lights etc) programmed to be operated from his iPhone and now his Apple watch.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:51 AM

Hubs says it is a thermostat that you can 'talk with' via wifi. Right up his alley! He loves all things gadgety and computery!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:39 AM

I think it looks cool but it's too pricey for me.