Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nostalgia for old magazines (or old versions of some that are still published) >

Nostalgia for old magazines (or old versions of some that are still published)

Nostalgia for old magazines (or old versions of some that are still published)

Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 AM

I to miss the old magazines especially the quilt magazines I use to get everyone published but now I do not get any they all seem the same and quilts are not fun like they use to be either to artsy or it is fast fast my favorite is still the sampler and what can be done with a block Sharyn Craig's article "What If" was one of my favorites
Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Sigh.. with the advent of technology which we all enjoy to get on this board with; something must give. Unfortunately its print. I refuse to give up print even tho I do enjoy the technology; to read a good book or a quilt magazine is for me still when I prefer the silence and want to use only my eyes, brain and creativity. Yes sometimes I do get it from the "technology" part but mostly the book or magazine will spark an idea faster.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 AM

I can't stand the new format on all the "knew" mags. All the pages look the same, I can't tell the articles from the ads! For decades, I've always subscribed to Woman's Day, Family Circle, Redbook,McCalls,BHG,Goodhousekeeping and Readers Digest. I've always subscribed to at least 25 to 35 magazines. Up until about 5 years ago. I wouldn't even open them out of their plastic, everytime I would have a visitor, I would beg them to take them home. It was hard to find any takers. I donated them to Dr.s offices and thriftstore. I don't subcribe to any mags, but one quilting magazine and I got tricked into subscribing to it. Haven't received any issues yet and probably never will.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 AM

I have a couple of either Woman's Day or Family Circle that are 1950's vintage. It's fun to see the ads and articles from that era.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 AM

Wasn't Workbasket a treasure trove? My older neighbor got it when I first got married and passed it on to me. That was almost 40 years ago. I enjoyed it and returned it because she kept every issue and an index of items she wanted to make. She is still alive and is probably still referring to them.
Originally Posted by MaryStoaks View Post
I liked to read my aunt's Workbasket magazines. They were so homey.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 PM

I still get Better Homes and Gardens. I love the decorating articles and they still have at least a couple a month. The gardening is sometimes helpful. I generally clip a recipe or two, but, in truth, I get most of my recipes from the Web. I gave away almost 2/3 of my cookbooks. I really couple let another dozen go and just keep the few that were my mother's, but I have a favorite recipe or two in several so I keep them. There are still some wonderful ones like Country Living that I browse at the library.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 PM

I used to enjoy magazines, but now most of them are $7 to $10, and frankly, half of each one is just ads. I get more information from books, so spend money on books instead of mags. Mags have it all over a Kindle in the bathroom, or outhouse, though.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 PM

I just went thru my Readers Digest, cover to cover, it seems it's more than half ads. Don't like it anymore!
Old 10-21-2012, 05:47 AM

Redbook was always my favorite magazine. Loved all the short stories and Novel at the end. Now all the magazines are the same. One page items as if they think everyone has a short attention span and couldn't possibly read an entire article. I only subscribe to Better Homes & Gardens & 2 quilt magazines now.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 PM

The old Mother Earth News, So naive, so hopeful and those 'personal' ads in the back, wow. And old Grit. The old tabloid, newsprint format was so folksy and delivered by entrepreneurs young and old. The new Grit is glossy and nice but just not the same. I read my brothers' Boys' Life and theSaturday Evening Post.

I loved and still love National Geographic, Archaeology Today and Goldenseal, the West Virginia magazine about contemporary and past times.

Readers' Digest joke pages: always enjoyable....The condensations, not so good--they stripped flesh from books and left skeletons.

Southern Living was an old reliable that recently changed format, and not for the better, IMO.