Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oh My Gosh..Ants!  You wouldn't guess where! >

Oh My Gosh..Ants! You wouldn't guess where!

Oh My Gosh..Ants! You wouldn't guess where!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 PM

Default Oh My Gosh..Ants! You wouldn't guess where!

Hi..this sounds gross!.

Two or three mornings ago we woke to find a few small clusters of little black ants on our walls and ceilings. I sprayed them and got rid of them and thought it was because of all the rain we'd been having, that they were looking for a new, drier home. Yesterday I saw some more little clusters on the outside of our bedroom window and on the eaves. I sprayed those and all the ants I could see running around outside. Again, thinking it was because of all the rain. Little did I know they'd already found a new home!

I was getting ready for bed last night and went to straighten the sheets and as I pulled part of the sheet out from under the mattress there were ants on it! I peeked under and saw ants. I called hubby and we lifted the mattress right off the bed and I couldn't believe my eyes. The underneath side of our mattress and the slats of our bed were literally crawling with hundreds upon hundreds of little black ants!! We'd been sleeping on a nest of ants the last couple of nights at least!!! Ugh!! They even had their little white egg things (at least I think that's what they are) and they looked like they had settled in for good! I've never seen anything like it before. And, apart from those few clusters and the odd ant, we didn't see them come in...we never saw a trail of ants heading to our bed or anything like that so I don't know when they sneaked in. But sneak in they did.

We spent the next couple of hours spraying and vacuuming to get rid of them all before we could go to bed last night. Mind you, I don't think either of us slept too well as I think we were both imagining ants crawling all over us....lol. There weren't (at least I don't think so...lol) but you know what the imagination is like. I still find it hard to believe we had a nest of ants under our mattress!! I thought I'd have nightmares last night...lol.

Luckily we had nearly a full can of spray (Mortein surface spray - it's great, stops them in their tracks) but that's empty now and I'm off to the shop this morning to get a couple more cans to spray a barrier around the room and around the legs of the bed. There's a couple of stray ants still wandering around on the walls, probably wondering where their new home has gone. They'll be gone too as soon as I get some more ammunition...lol.

I know from now on I'm going to be paranoid if I see an ant crawling on the wall in our bedroom...lol. I better check the spare beds as well...lol. And luckily they were those little ants and not something bigger. Ugh...I shudder to think!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:50 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I live out in the country and yes, we too get unwanted 'visitors' from time to time.. I found an ant farm in one of our potted plants on the window ledge.. Drug that plant outside FOREVER .. i saw a few of them buggers wandering the window ledge and followed them to the plant.. saw their new home.. So outside it went and outside it stayed.. we get silverfish in our basement from time to time and spiders too.. YUCK.. I hate spiders.. I see one and my imagination goes wild- that one day ill wake up and ive been cocooned.. !!! Yup I really hate spiders..

OMG But your situation- id never be able to sleep in that bed again- Id never get sleep as Id keep my eyes open for the fear of them crawling on me.. yuck.. thanks for the 'shivers'..Ive got the visual of the situation.. lol..

Its good that you got your bed back tho..

Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 02-06-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
we get silverfish in our basement from time to time and spiders too.. YUCK.. I hate spiders.. I see one and my imagination goes wild- that one day ill wake up and ive been cocooned.. !!! Yup I really hate spiders..
Ahh..yes...now, that WOULD be a nightmare for me too...I HATE spiders! I panic like mad...lol. At least I could handle the ants...if it had been spiders...I'd leave home I think...lol
Old 02-06-2012, 02:58 PM

I had problems when I lived in Salem.....many years ago -- I SWORE the town of Salem was one big ant hill! At one house, I opened the dishwasher AFTER it had run its cycle and half way thru the drying --- steam hit me in the face and ants were running all around inside! I couldn't believe it! I looked in my arsenol (cleaning equipment) and saw some LimeAway ---- with a black skull and crossbones on it. HEH HEHE If it'll kill a human, it's BOUND to kill ants! I squirted that stuff under the dishwasher, INSIDE the dishwasher and went outside and squirted all around the house. Bought two more containers to get everything done. I NEVER had another ant at that house again! Course, it's a toxic landfill now -- but NO ANTS!

My Step daughter was having big time troubles in GDs bedroom. She finally started taking every toy and piece of fabric out of the room to wash ------she found they'd made nests in the white rods that hold curtains!!!!!! UGH!

Good luck!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2 View Post
.if it had been spiders...I'd leave home I think...lol

NO kidding- Id be staying at a four star hotel while hubby bombed the place !!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Looks like the little guys are coming inside to avoid all that rain! Dusting talcum powder around the bed/base should deter any more of them moving in. Borax is good too, sprinkled around the skirtings but just a little (it is toxic to pets and children).
Old 02-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
My Step daughter was having big time troubles in GDs bedroom. She finally started taking every toy and piece of fabric out of the room to wash ------she found they'd made nests in the white rods that hold curtains!!!!!! UGH!

Good luck!!!
Dear God!! I may NEVER go to sleep tonight!
These stories are worse than anything Stephen King can think up.

Jan in VA
Old 02-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Oh...I better go check my curtain rods too! Yikes!

Thanks for the hint about talcum powder and borax...I've heard those before but totally forgotten about them
Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

I hope you put your vacuum outside for the night!! when i was a teenager we had ants invade our house. we found them dead in the folds of clean laundry, in the ironing and in my jewelry box too. very odd. another year we had frogs jumping in the house when we opened the door. another year grasshoppers invaded downtown Houston. yikes!!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 PM

There is a product called Terro that works very well. I live in Florida and we have ants all the time. You just put a little drop where the ants are. They eat it and take it back to their nests and I guess they also share it. Anyway it kills the whole nest.