Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohmygosh! I am stunned!

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    For purposes of this thread, it is helpful to know that I bake wedding cakes for other people as a sideline (after working in a law office all day), and have been doing this for almost 40 years.

So today, we were at my daughter's housewarming party, and my father asked me if I had ever taken a wedding cake to the Golden Glow Ballroom. It's been around since the early part of the last century (like the early 1920's or even earlier), and was a staple here in this area. For years it was a dance club, and was a skating rink (roller), then eventually had another incarnation as a reception hall.

I told him that I have to take a wedding cake there next Saturday and he told me, "no you don't, 'cause it burned to the ground last night."

Well, you could have scraped my tongue off the floor! I've been to many a wedding reception there. Many years ago it was a concert hall, too, and people like Ike & Tina Turner, Wayne Newton, etc. performed there. I am truly stunned.

I've called the Bride and of course it's Sunday, so she can't get too many new vendors on the phone yet. But I am hopeful that by Tuesday they will have a new location and all will be well.

The amazing thing in all of this? They had originally selected yesterday as their wedding date, but this hall was already booked. So I guess they're already blessed.

Blog Entries
    How horrible to lose a historical building as well as all of the functions that were to be held there having to be cancelled :( :( :(

Oh my how terrible.

Banned
    oh my. how sad.

Oh my, sounds like a mad scramble this week. It will work out, but I am sure there will be some frantic calls!

OMG, that is awful. Hope it all works out.

Odessaquilts, this is awful. It's worse than when they cut a forest down...you can grow more trees, but this building was history, and held many, many memories. so sorry! glad that the bride has time to hurriedly change things around.

Oh, that's so sad to lose such a treasure to your town!!! I feel for the bride. I worked with a bride that went to the hall for her wedding....but all guests were standing outside, couldn't get in!!! Seems the manager/owner of the hall decided to leave town with all the money the night before!!!! It was so sad....

That's so sad to lose a historical building like that, but that young couple is so lucky. They have someone watching over them.

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    Had a phone message today from my Bride; they have settled on the Bay City Country Club for their wedding. It's about 40 minutes closer for me and another beautiful location, so I'm happy and I think it will be terrific.

I'll try to post photos afterward.

Odessa

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast