Olympic Opening Ceremony

Old 02-08-2014, 05:53 AM

Default Olympic Opening Ceremony

Did anyone watch it? I liked it a lot! I thought the part about their alphabet was interesting. The way they showed the shape of the country under the athletes as they entered was interesting. I hate to say some of the countries I have never heard of! I went to bed about 10:30 and I think the last thing I saw was those horses and the balloons.

On a side note it was great seeing the inured American skier who was injured able to be in the opening ceremony. She was so concerned about whether she was still considered and Olympian!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

​I watched part of it. I thought it interesting that we all saw the Olympic ring boo boo but apparently Russian TV substituted a practice run where the rings all appeared.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

I was not able to watch it, darn!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:17 AM

I came in and started to watch part way through where it reminded me of UK. So I switched off.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:43 AM

I was all set to watch it - and did for the first 70 minutes - than I got bored and went to the basement to quilt.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:53 AM

We watched it until ten-thirty, then bed time. I loved it. So much technical stuff. I don't even know how a radio works, how do I understand all of that stuff. LOL So good for all the young people tho'.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:06 AM

I loved it. Easy to see why it cost so much.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
I was all set to watch it - and did for the first 70 minutes - than I got bored and went to the basement to quilt.
You know, I was pretty bored with most of it, too. Kept thinking I was probably so cynical these days, but I also remember the Olympics where I saw Circe du Soleil type acts and how amazingly well done it was; can't remember when or what host country that was.
This one just left me rather cold.

Jan in VA
Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 AM

I thought Canada's opening for the last winter Olympics was so spectacular and memorable. We were comparing some elements last night to that. But I'm a sucker for the athletes, and love seeing them all excited and eager to begin. The alphabet thing was really neat, and that little girl was just amazing! She was so fearless and graceful flying around so high and walking up people's hands in the later segment. We always watch the whole opening and closing ceremonies and just enjoy the spectacle. All that machinery was classic Russian culture, we thought. Now we watch so many events, though I don't watch any other sports the rest of the time. Well, except for the Super Bowl, and that's for the commercials. Felt bad for Bob Costa. He has an infection that has his left eye swollen almost shut and means he can't wear his contacts. The doctors expect it to clear up in a day or two. Though I do find some of his commentary too schmaltzy for words. I had some handwork ready so I could stitch while I watched last night.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:35 AM

I agree, countries are going to show their good side, not their evil twin side. That's human nature if nothing else. I know that marching in the opening ceremony is a huge thrill for the athletes and I'm really glad for them but I find that part of the show mind numbing. I set my timer and went back to my sewing room for awhile and came back just as the USA was coming out onto the floor. I enjoyed the "show" part of the ceremony although I think those things probably don't show as well on TV as they do in real life.