Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Olympic Games opening

Blog Entries

Olympic Games opening

I just wanted to see if anyone had watched the ceremony ? I know because I am British I might be a little biased but I thought it was wonderfull , and only the Brits humour could justify the queen *parachuting* and Mr Bean making an appearance I think a magical moment was when the cyclists came out with wings , my mouth dropped open at that point . I know all countries enjoy the Games , and I wish everyones efforts to be their personal dream no matter how they do.

Banned
    I absolutely loved the opening ceremony - every bit of it, even the corny parts.
    Boyle did a brilliant job.
    Like daisylil said - the winged cyclists were magical.

Simon Schama, a Brit living in the USA, has a long piece on the opening, a good read, in today's Daily Beast.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com You'll have to scroll around for it.

Blog Entries
    I love the Olympics but have to admit that I didn't watch the openings this year. It sounds like they would have been good. Last night I made my popcorn and took it to my bedroom and watched until I fell asleep. I watch every yr and this is the closed I come to watching sports unless it's a live game; and that's only ice hockey, baseball or any game the little ones play.
    Judy

I loved the opening ceremony -- especially the torch lighting. The queen and James Bond were priceless.
    Ellen
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when I can see footprints on the moon..."

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I thought the Queen and Bond were brilliant; how wonderful that her sense of humor allowed this participation!
    Mr. Bean made me laugh out loud, just imagining what he'd do next...!
    I loved the winged cycles and the running man in light across the audience.
    I also loved the lighting of the torch by the 'next generation' and the way the torches made the cauldron.

All in all it was worth staying up for, a wonderful, entertaining spectacle. Well done!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I loved the winged cyclists also. And the lighting of the flame. I also liked the first part when they followed the Thames from its headwaters. And when the rings showered sparks. I was a bit puzzled by the health system part but all in all, I thought it was brilliant. Any time I get to see David Beckham... LOL!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I loved everything except the torch lighting - not just in these games, but all recent ones. I'd like to go back to ONE person (at least inside the stadium) carrying ONE torch to light the big one. Also not sure how the modern love story bit really fit into the whole theme, but all in all it was wonderful.

Sorry, Rebecca, not meant to be in reply to your post!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

We thought it was all wonderful. With each change we were impressed even more. And of course the Queen with James Bond was a hoot. We couldn't stop laughing. With Paul McCartney doing the closing, it was just perfect.

The opening ceremony was really fabulous, I really enjoyed the complete event, even my kids were overwhelmed looking the torch lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    I loved everything except the torch lighting - not just in these games, but all recent ones. I'd like to go back to ONE person (at least inside the stadium) carrying ONE torch to light the big one. Also not sure how the modern love story bit really fit into the whole theme, but all in all it was wonderful.

Sorry, Rebecca, not meant to be in reply to your post!

Oh, no need to apologize. I liked the torch lighting but the one I really liked was when they shot the arrow into the caldron, remember that one? I forget which game it was at.

I also wondered about the modern love story but figured it's just because I'm an old fogey... LOL!

But, have I mentioned David Beckham? Swoon...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I loved the opening ceremony -- it was wonderful to weave the history of the country into the ceremony. I loved the bit with the Queen -- just thinking about it makes me smile. Your country should be very proud of the show.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I watched the opening ceremonies and hated the network people talking over the music, and in some cases, speeches. They did not have to tell us the obvious, and were so intrusive, I muted most of it. It could have been enjoyable, but they chose to spoil it, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakers1 View Post
    I watched the opening ceremonies and hated the network people talking over the music, and in some cases, speeches. They did not have to tell us the obvious, and were so intrusive, I muted most of it. It could have been enjoyable, but they chose to spoil it, at least for me.
    I'm with you on this. It is annoying to have some inane comments floating over the top of an event of which one can form one's own opinion. Informative comments are OK. However, our family keeps a book on inane comments made during these sort of events. My favourite was said by an Australian commentator a number of years ago:"He dove through the water like butter through cheese"...(?) At least it keeps it amusing

I don't think I have ever watched an opening ceremony but I am glad I caught this one. It was "brilliant"

The arrow lighting of the torch by an archer was in Barcelona

One of the best I have ever seen...we watched the whole thing and loved it!
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Was wonderful to watch, however what would have been better, was to be able to watch it live!! In AZ it was taped so unfortunately we had heard about all the good stuff before we were able to see it. I like the element of surprise!! But they are doing the same with the events, playing them in primetime. Thus you can hear who won what before actually seeing it. Guess I just need to stay clear of the news, and MSN Homepage!!

Your country should be very proud, they were wonderful. I am betting the closing will be equally as good !
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    Like many others, my television screen caught and captured me through the opening ceremonies. My favourite part is always the parade of athletes because I love the "costumes" they have chosen. It's neat to see the culture of the country reflected in the clothing of their athletes, which really stands out for me during the parade.
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

I Loved the opening ceremony! Didn't see your post until today-- In an interview prior to the opening Meredith V was interviewing Mr. Dooley(?) he stated that Beijing opening couldn't be "topped" but in a different way or perspective he thought the London opening would be memorable for its own special features. (paraphrasing here). Anyway, loved the timeline, the forging of the rings, the highlighting of Britan's contributions such as literature, esp. children's. The kids jumping on the beds and Mary Poppins chasing away the boogie men, the doves, the Queen's good sense of humor in "parachuting in". Really loved the symbolism put in by all the leaves accompaning each country's team being put together to make the cauldron a composite of all. Speedboat racing down the Thames and the honor guard of all the construction workers who built the stadium. The seat pixels. AWESOME! in its own right.

For those confused about modern love story... the man who developed the world wide web was a Brit, and the love story was a vingette showing the development of our modern digital age.
    I rather like that each country has their own "flavor" for the opening and closing ceremonies, with the parade of athletes being the constant. The 2 things that make me sad about the parade of the athletes is they don't get to see the show, and since some competitions are the next morning some opt out of the parade so that they are able to compete with out being tired out from being in the ceremony.
    Last edited by starshine; 08-01-2012 at 10:52 AM.

I am in the minority here, I did not like the opening program. I thought it was too black in mood and very disjointed in the way the parts were done. The music did not do anything except give me a raging headache. I am so sorry but on a scale of 1-10 , I give it a 1.

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Oh, no need to apologize. I liked the torch lighting but the one I really liked was when they shot the arrow into the caldron, remember that one? I forget which game it was at.

I also wondered about the modern love story but figured it's just because I'm an old fogey... LOL!

But, have I mentioned David Beckham? Swoon...
    I remember the arrow shooting into the coldron, that was amazing then and would be now if repeated someday.
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Quote Originally Posted by marthe brault-hunt View Post
    The arrow lighting of the torch by an archer was in Barcelona
    It was AWESOME, too!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I am proud to be a Brit, in fact if you cut me in half I am Red, White and Blue through and through just like Blackpool rock. I just loved our Queen's sense of humour, still smiling at that one, I thought that David Beckham looked more like a James Bond than the one played but what I really, REALLY loved was the inter-generation of the games. The grand masters of Sport playing, endorsing and training the next generation.

Today as I type this Britain has won a Gold for Show Jumping for the 1st time in 60 years , how proud are we, but I must praise and show honour to our cousins across the pond, what a wonderful team of Athletes you have sent across to honour the Olympics. They looks so clean, bright and healthy a picture of young youth, well done the USA and of course Team GB.

I can't help wondering what the Closing ceremony is going to be like after that opening!

To those people who want to watch it live and have a good Internet connection try out this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video

Quote Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
    Today as I type this Britain has won a Gold for Show Jumping for the 1st time in 60 years , how proud are we, but I must praise and show honour to our cousins across the pond, what a wonderful team of Athletes you have sent across to honour the Olympics. They looks so clean, bright and healthy a picture of young youth, well done the USA and of course Team GB.
    And proud you should be with the Show Jumping Gold ... and the many other Golds.

*blink*
    I thought we were "cousins from across the pond" with a wonderful team who have truly showed the Olympic spirit. Sure our team may not have taken a lot of medals, but is that all that counts??

And then there's the the Canada-USA Women's soccer game ... now going into overtime.

Go Canada Go!!!!!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 08-06-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a fellow Brit I also really enjoyed the Opening - best bit was the Queen and James Bond - I am so proud of her for showing a sense of humour.

Very impressed by the Industrial Revolution and historical section. I guess the NHS (National Health Service) bit was included because we seem to be known as unusual in the world for having it (or this is what we are told?!).

The bit that really confused me though was the group dancing separately in gold (? I think) costumes - several dancers and then a man and a boy slightly set off. I didn't follow the logic on that, but hey all opening ceremonies have to have their surreal moments!! LOL!

I also really love the Olympic torch - the idea and construction of that is simply magnificent

And I'm pleased that everyone seems to be having a good time (everyone, not just the Brits) - long may it continue!!
    Quilting is my vice

Live well, laugh often, love much