Olympic Games opening

Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
Oh, no need to apologize. I liked the torch lighting but the one I really liked was when they shot the arrow into the caldron, remember that one? I forget which game it was at.

I also wondered about the modern love story but figured it's just because I'm an old fogey... LOL!

But, have I mentioned David Beckham? Swoon...
I remember the arrow shooting into the coldron, that was amazing then and would be now if repeated someday.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by marthe brault-hunt View Post
The arrow lighting of the torch by an archer was in Barcelona
It was AWESOME, too!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM

I am proud to be a Brit, in fact if you cut me in half I am Red, White and Blue through and through just like Blackpool rock. I just loved our Queen's sense of humour, still smiling at that one, I thought that David Beckham looked more like a James Bond than the one played but what I really, REALLY loved was the inter-generation of the games. The grand masters of Sport playing, endorsing and training the next generation.

Today as I type this Britain has won a Gold for Show Jumping for the 1st time in 60 years , how proud are we, but I must praise and show honour to our cousins across the pond, what a wonderful team of Athletes you have sent across to honour the Olympics. They looks so clean, bright and healthy a picture of young youth, well done the USA and of course Team GB.

I can't help wondering what the Closing ceremony is going to be like after that opening!

To those people who want to watch it live and have a good Internet connection try out this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
Today as I type this Britain has won a Gold for Show Jumping for the 1st time in 60 years , how proud are we, but I must praise and show honour to our cousins across the pond, what a wonderful team of Athletes you have sent across to honour the Olympics. They looks so clean, bright and healthy a picture of young youth, well done the USA and of course Team GB.
And proud you should be with the Show Jumping Gold ... and the many other Golds.

*blink*
I thought we were "cousins from across the pond" with a wonderful team who have truly showed the Olympic spirit. Sure our team may not have taken a lot of medals, but is that all that counts??

And then there's the the Canada-USA Women's soccer game ... now going into overtime.

Go Canada Go!!!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 08-06-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:44 AM

As a fellow Brit I also really enjoyed the Opening - best bit was the Queen and James Bond - I am so proud of her for showing a sense of humour.

Very impressed by the Industrial Revolution and historical section. I guess the NHS (National Health Service) bit was included because we seem to be known as unusual in the world for having it (or this is what we are told?!).

The bit that really confused me though was the group dancing separately in gold (? I think) costumes - several dancers and then a man and a boy slightly set off. I didn't follow the logic on that, but hey all opening ceremonies have to have their surreal moments!! LOL!

I also really love the Olympic torch - the idea and construction of that is simply magnificent

And I'm pleased that everyone seems to be having a good time (everyone, not just the Brits) - long may it continue!!