Other Crafting hobbies??

Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by carhop
Originally Posted by tazama
Photography is my all time favorite past time then quilting. I have done crocheting (made many, many afghans), primitive painting (dishes - my own designs), home staging, antique hunting, I find pieces of furniture I want replicated and dear hubby makes them then 'we' finish them and sell or give as gifts, gardening, canning, baking, love to cook and always trying new recipes and am in the middle of putting together a family cookbook, reading anything on health and exercise, I'm a walker/runner and do charity walks, I'm also a part time contractor. Yes, I do construction work with hubby (we own our own business). I swing a mean hammer! I'm very colonial and primitive and always looking for ways to design/redesign rooms in our home. My favorite room we designed is our living room - Americana. The pics attached are of some of the things I have done - the hutch hubby made, the dishes on it I designed and painted, the pie safe hubby made for our son and DL in NY for a Christmas gift and the living room is ours which I designed. I made the mantle cover and we refaced the fireplace with NY field stone. I get bored easily and always looking for new things to try. I guess that is one advantage of quilting - you can make so many different things and always use your own creativity designing.
boy you and your DH are very talented I never gotten that good at anything my dolls are as close i come
Carhop, what kind of dolls do you make?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM

Sharon, I wish you lived closer, I would take the yarn off your hands as my mother-in-law in NY loves to crochet. She just lost her job (she is 76) and now doesn't know if she'll be able to continue to do her passion as she won't have the extra money she made at the greenhouse to buy yarn. Good luck with parting with your stashes of many sorts. I find it hard to just get rid of stuff like that. I keep telling myself "one of these days I'll do that again". In the mean time, it collects dust in the attic or my office.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by quiltforfun
tazama: That is the most beautiful pie safe I have ever seen. Your DH does beautiful work...
Barbara
Thank you so much Quiltforfun. I told him and I could see his chest puff out . . . ha ha . . . men, you have to love them♥
Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 PM

Photography and cooking--not crafting, I know, but I love them anyway.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:35 PM

x stitch, tole painting, knitting, crochet, baking, jewellery making crazy but i still have time to quilt
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 PM

I crochet, paint, photography, used to knit but quit when I learned to crochet. Read a lot, although that isn't craft
related!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Navy Wife
I'm like Ditter. I've tried most everything over the years. I still do a little cross stitch and knit dishcloths ( better than yelling at DH for the way he drives!). Used to knit sweaters, sew most of our clothes, crochet afgans, decoupage, tole paint, textile paint, needlepoint and macrame... not all at one time!
I'm the same way == except I can't do anything while riding in a car....I get carsick. I've sewed my clothes since I was 12 (but don't do that anymore). I've embroidered and crocheted. I've done oil painting, macrame', decoupage, and now quilting. Everytime a class opened up, I was there. I didn't do tole painting, but wish I had. My daughter-in-law (now ex) once told me, "You're so talented; you can do anything." And I told her, "I'm not 'talented,' I just like taking classes." I learned everything I know in a class....oops, except crochet -- I am self-taught with a little help from my crocheting friends.

Edit: Oh, how could I forget: I love to read and I decorate cakes. My current hobbies include reading, cake decorating, and quilting.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
I have several other crafting hobbies that I love. Right this very second I am crocheting an afghan. I also like to cross stitch and scrapbook and I'd like to try decoupage.

What are your other crafting hobbies, besides quilting?
I crochet and loomknit
Old 11-12-2010, 12:43 PM

I, too, have my hands in a lot of different crafts. I love to read and belong to "The Bookies" book club at the library. I hand embroider. Was taught by my grandmother at age 6. Love cross stitching! I sew clothes for my granddaughter - especially at the beginning of school! I knit afghans, dishcloths and neck scarves. Crochet lots of afghans (usually a graduation gift). I do stamping and make my Christmas Cards. I would love to get into beading. Right now I'm interested in doing pin embroidery, but haven't found a hat pin that is reasonable. I don't want to spend $35 for a hat pin to find out that I don't like it. Guess that's all!!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Drew, what is pin embroidery? I have never heard of that. Thanks