Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: other names for grandma

other names for grandma

I will be a first time grandmother in July! I'm trying to decide on my title to be called.

Sadly, my daughter's husband's mother is already called Grandma (gramma) by her 3 other grandchildren.
    I want to be identifiable by another name.

I called my own grandmothers, big grandma & little grandma, not flattering as it should've been tall & short. My cousin hates being called Grandma San Diego. My kids called my own mom plain,with honor, Grandma, since she was the real hands on and fun one. My husband's mom was Grandma Charlotte because they rarely saw her and she never changed a diaper or fed them, mostly she just watched them as interesting. I thought of GrandmaC (my name is Cathy) but the other one is Cheri, too close & same initial. My daughter doesn't want Nana or anything that's too different from Grandma.

I thought of SewGrandma, but that's probably kind of corny. However, I should ask my daughter about that one since it's kind of an honor if you think "SooooGrandma"!

So far the winner idea is Grandmom since my husband wants Grandad. I realize that Grandmom will actually sound like grandma by a toddler but maybe it could be Granmomma until older boyhood when he can actually say it right. Regardless if the momma ending is used or not, I will at least have a different signature.

What do you think of SewGrandma and Grandmom?
    I don't dance with wolves; I quilt with dogs!
    Cathy

My DIL will be called Grammy with her first grandchild. Since, I am great garland, I wonder what I will be called.

Blog Entries
    My son called me MIMI and my mom MOMA
    when he was about 3 1/2 it finally came thru as Mommy and Grandma, he just couldn't pronounce it.
    We always call aunts and uncles ''aunt Deb", why not grandma Cathy.

Some fall back to their nationality, nona, gemma,tia, ect. how about that why not grammy or grannie(that sounds like you need a rocking chair). Let us know what you pick.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

My daughter's children call me Nonni and my son's daughters call me Nonna.

my grandmothers were as different as night and day, we called them Grandma last name and Grandma last name They were loved equally. mine call me Mimi, my mother was Memaw. my other mother is Maudi Mae. lots to choose from

My dil's mom is grammy as their earlier grand child called her that and she wanted to keep her title with my ds & ddil; so I opted for grandma plain and simple. However when my kids were little I felt grandma with the last name seemed too formal(what we as children called our grandmas & grandpas) so I had them call them grandma and their first names. Neither lived close though so they didn't have a lot of interaction.

Blog Entries
    Nana. That's me and I love it!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Mine call me Nammie -- my first couldn't make the GR sound.

I am "Nanny" to my seven Gkids. It was the name for my Nanny, so my first to have
    a child had him call me Nanny and it has been that way since. I love it.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Since your daughter will likely be called Mommy, you could be Grandmommy.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast