Painted Cabinet

Old 07-12-2016, 07:38 AM

I had some requests for a Tut so here are the steps. I was going to post in the Tut thread but all I see are quilt tuts, so I wasn't sure.

First, depends on the state of your cabinet. Mine was already worn out and the finish not so good. so I just took a hand held electric sander and gave it a little sanding. All the finish does not have to come off, just roughing up is all that is needed. I used Decoart Acrylic paint and decoart glazing medium, and extender medium but you can use any acrylic paint and glazing from the hardware. The triangle tool, or cut some saw like teeth into a piece of cardboard (check out utube), one of those 99 cents 3 inch brushes or any brush. If you are painting over a cabinet that already is painted with an oil paint, the acrylic paint will peel off eventually. So this is all about Acrylics.

1. Sand and wipe with damp cloth. Take off all the hardware.
2. Base coat with at least 4 to 5 coats of paint. I add a little water to the paint to make it more fluid. You don't want thick ridges. Slap on the paint in quick criss cross fashion and then smooth out in one direction with a light touch, holding the brush as flat as possible. In other words not up and down on the edge of the brush, but sort of laying down the brush. Let each coat dry well, a hair dryer can be used. I usually sand between coat by just lightly passing a the very very find grit sandpaper over it. I put my brush in a plastic bag and wrap the paint tray (meat tray) in a bag as well so I don't have to wash the brush between coats.

3. Let the coats dry and cure for at least 24 hours. In this case we are talking about the red cabinet. I mixed glazing medium 2/3 and 1/3 black paint and a little extender, mix it well. then I brushed just plain extender medium over the area (one area at a time now) Extender gives you more time to do what you want to do. Immediately after applying the extender, brush the black glaze over that area and then take your tri tool and swirl it around into whatever pattern you want. You will have plenty of time to do this with the extenders on the area and in the glaze, only put a little extender in the glaze, just a few drops.

You may wish to practice on a small piece of wood or cardboard or watch utube for faux finishes and the wood graining tool.

I let it dry for two days or longer then I put about 5 coats of varnish on, sanding with the fine sand paper between coat and waiting just for the coat to be dry before applying the next.

Last edited by Rosyhf; 07-12-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:45 AM

Someone asked me about a white cabinet. You still have to add another color if you want a faux finish. Maybe a gold glaze or beige. The black glaze would be stunning if it would go in the room. I love doing these pieces. I have another piece just like this one and I will do it in greens or lapis lazuli....I will post when I start with pic.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:48 AM

I am so sorry about the links that seem to appear when I write a certain word. I am not doing that, it just happens when you write. I guess it's some sort of ads for the board to help with upkeep, I don't mind if you don't.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:50 AM

Red is my signature/favorite color so of course I love them. Great job! I just got done painting the ceiling to my front porch yesterday and decided to pull down the recess light cams and mailbox to paint them...................yes, RED. Put them back up this morning and I love them. I'm now contemplating taking the ceiling fan blades down out there and painting them red.....................do you think it would be too much???????? My house is a pale shade of grey, front door behind the storm door is deep red.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:55 AM

You are very talented Lady beautiful cabinet.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:40 AM

Awesome. I love it.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:51 AM

OUTSTANDING! I also switch back and forth between quilting and painting. It seems to keep my brain fresh - maybe it works the cobwebs out of one side or the other.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:07 AM

Wow, you are talented! In picture number 2, you've got the same Ethan Allen furniture I have! What a small world!
Old 07-12-2016, 11:16 AM

Wow! What a glorious transformation. You are one talented lady!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Red is my signature/favorite color so of course I love them. Great job! I just got done painting the ceiling to my front porch yesterday and decided to pull down the recess light cams and mailbox to paint them...................yes, RED. Put them back up this morning and I love them. I'm now contemplating taking the ceiling fan blades down out there and painting them red.....................do you think it would be too much???????? My house is a pale shade of grey, front door behind the storm door is deep red.
Paint them red, will look stunning...