Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Plastic lined adult shirt savers/bibs >

Plastic lined adult shirt savers/bibs

Plastic lined adult shirt savers/bibs

Old 08-19-2016, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
There is a pattern on the internet for a no-sew apron made from a t-shirt. It uses some artful cutting and makes a cover up that looks and functions like an apron. It gives the impression that the person is "working" rather than that they need a bib. They are absorbent, easily washable, have no buttons or closures to worry about and look nice. Used t-shirts from the thrift store work wonderfully and if you buy them on "bag day" they are cheap to make. I think men would like the dark colored ones or maybe with "manly" designs such as motorcycles or cars on the front.
Could you provide a link to this?
Old 08-19-2016, 07:05 AM

It's kinda old fashioned but what about that rubberized flannel we used to put on cribs?? I have no clue to it's sewing issues???? https://www.google.com/search?q=flan...ber+crib+liner
Old 08-19-2016, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Could you provide a link to this?
Originally Posted by lclang View Post
There is a pattern on the internet for a no-sew apron made from a t-shirt. It uses some artful cutting and makes a cover up that looks and functions like an apron. It gives the impression that the person is "working" rather than that they need a bib. They are absorbent, easily washable, have no buttons or closures to worry about and look nice. Used t-shirts from the thrift store work wonderfully and if you buy them on "bag day" they are cheap to make. I think men would like the dark colored ones or maybe with "manly" designs such as motorcycles or cars on the front.
Maybe one of these? https://www.google.com/search?q=no-s...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 08-19-2016, 07:10 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deHsXEuI8Ds
Old 08-19-2016, 11:25 AM

You could use what they call "rubber backing", found at JoAnns. Use this on the back side and a pretty fabric on the top side.
Rubber backing will stand up to very hot water and a hot dryer with no problem at all. It's soft to the touch. I would wash and dry it before cutting it out because it does shrink a little bit the first time only.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:13 PM

I use iron vinyl do not wash just wipe clean. I have made so many for mom,dad etc. Any fabric theme, sports, schools, 101 airborne, dogs, cats, beach, food, tux , tie, tea party, teddy bears, army, beach, snow, holiday, fireworks, chef, dinner, ladies add cotton lace and beads or larger center piece for necklace over iron on, etc. Careful with sewn on necklace if person might pull of or try to swallow. Mom is just in need of a clean shirt, dad on the other can not have buttons or small things attached. Ties attached are ok they are fabric and not able to swallow or pull off. I also use Velcro sewn on.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:20 PM

Forgot to say they do disappear at times, so I keep making them, then mom tells people I can make them one with their name on them or their favorite thing. I stopped counting at 60. Now for them I get a handkerchief at dollar stone, Wal-Mart, etc. Add a ribbon and Velcro snap.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Are you sure that you need plastic on the back? I'm thinking that something that is thick enough (e.g. quilted with a good batting, or heavy toweling) will not let anything through. Plastic is less comfortable to wear, and harder to launder.
I agree with dunster. I've made my personal bib to keep in the car for when we eat messy things at drive-ins. I know, isn't retirement fun! I used regular quilting fabric and doubled it (no batting). Works fine. No messy blouse fronts.