Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   behavior problem question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/behavior-problem-question-t88372.html)

sisLH 01-07-2011 08:14 AM

I need your help.
Our 8 year old grandson took a new Christmas toy from his 5 year old brother and broke it in anger. It wasn't an accident-it was a deliberate act of meanness.
This was a gift that my husband and I had bought. So I told the 8 yr old he had to make restituition -either by cash from piggy bank or by helping grandpa and I do some work. If he chose the cash, then he could get the cash back by working it off helping to clean, etc -some project.
The toy cost $15. He gave us $5. I did not tell him an amount to give as I knew he doesn't yet have that concept of money. He will get the $5 back. I just wanted him to know that he has to show restitution for his actions in lfe.
Well, I got alot of flack for this from family. What do you think-was it too strong of a punishment?

Qbee 01-07-2011 08:20 AM

Why did you get flack?? I mean, what was their complaint??

DebraK 01-07-2011 08:22 AM

I think you made a very fair consequence for his actions. It's not like you mindlessly spanked the child or ignored his misdeed. There was a lesson attached.

ktbb 01-07-2011 08:23 AM

I think what you did was fine...too many kids don't learn that they have to take responsibility for their actions. Don't know what the flack was about from the family, but if the parents weren't going to hold him accountable you did the right thing.

redkimba 01-07-2011 08:24 AM

I think you did the right thing. The 8-year-old needs to learn that all actions have consequences, both good and bad.

sharon b 01-07-2011 08:25 AM

as long as when you explained it to him you were not angry I see no problem with this - when my kids were younger I took a parenting class and this was one way to handle a difficult situation - for every action there is a reaction . And a nice way to teach the child the value of money - he is not too young to understand that it takes work to earn money and money to pay for things .

littlehud 01-07-2011 08:26 AM

It sounds like what I would have done. I see no problem.

kwhite 01-07-2011 08:27 AM

My 22 yo has no concept of money. That is our fault for not teaching her at your GS's age. Good job Gramma. Keep up the good work.

feline fanatic 01-07-2011 08:27 AM

IMHO, parents who do not teach their children that there are consequences for their actions (bad and good) are doing their children a grave disservice and eventually releasing irresponsible adults into society who have a misguided sense of entitlement.

What you did was perfectly acceptable and hopefully a good life lesson. I simply can not understand parents who think their children should not be disciplined in any way.

mommamac 01-07-2011 08:28 AM

I think you were lenient - I would have taken him & his piggy bank to the store, have him find the cost of the item & buy it for his brother. If his bank didn't have enough, then I'd have him then 'work' to earn the difference.

Kids need consequences that fit their actions - like the sign in some stores: 'if you break it, you buy it!'