Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cloth diapers versus paper diapers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cloth-diapers-versus-paper-diapers-t191829.html)

kso 06-15-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts (Post 5290880)
Sadly, there's not always a choice 24-7. Near me I know of no day care centers that accept cloth diapers. So if the mom works, then she usually has to use disposable diapers if someone other than a family member is watching the baby.

Yes, my dau was just told they would not accept a child in cloth diapers at the child care center on military base where she is stationed.

Tink's Mom 06-15-2012 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5290879)
Remember the long rectangular Curity gauze ones? I've been trying to locate some - inexpensively - and they don't seem to be made any more. When I see them on e-bay, they are priced way too high for me.

Curity diapers were the best! I used to embroider on them and really miss them. Curity has been bought out and discontinued...not sure by who, but Gerber has a decent one similar to the Curity.

Tink's Mom 06-15-2012 12:24 PM

My daughter in law was informed that day care will only accept disposible diapers....but, I may use cloth when I have the baby...it will be a whole lot cheaper for me to just buy a dz cloth diapers instead of package after package of disposible.

bakermom 06-15-2012 12:49 PM

for me the conveinence was well worth the cost . My time is valuable too. My GKs are all in disposable, yes it can get expensive but it makes the mommas life easier all the way around.

As far as "who" would buy frozen waffles- people like my mom. elderly, still living on her own but no longer feels comfortable cooking. she can pop those in the toaster and hvave a nice breakfast on her own.

icon17 06-15-2012 01:00 PM

And lets not forget the cost to the Land fill!!!!!

ptquilts 06-15-2012 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 5291314)
for me the conveinence was well worth the cost . My time is valuable too. My GKs are all in disposable, yes it can get expensive but it makes the mommas life easier all the way around.

As far as "who" would buy frozen waffles- people like my mom. elderly, still living on her own but no longer feels comfortable cooking. she can pop those in the toaster and have a nice breakfast on her own.

my post mentioned frozen pancakes - frozen waffles have been around forever and I have been known to eat one or two on occasion.

Pancake mix, you can even get in a spray can and spray your pancakes into the pan!! What will they think of next!

maryb44662 06-15-2012 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5290879)
Remember the long rectangular Curity gauze ones? I've been trying to locate some - inexpensively - and they don't seem to be made any more. When I see them on e-bay, they are priced way too high for me.

I think the only ones you can find these days are the Bird's Eye cloth diapers and some of them are pre-folded. When my kids came along (50 years ago) I used the long gauze ones but I folded them in three layers and sewed the sides to make "almost" pre-folded diapers. They dried (on the line) pretty fast back then. Mothers now days don't even know what a cloth diaper looks like. What a waste of money on paper diapers!!

bluteddi 06-15-2012 02:54 PM

I have several stores locally and one big box store that carries the prefolded and the flat cloth diapers...
I always buy a package of the prefolds and pretty them up for burp clothes/etc for the baby showers... and I love emb on the flat cloth diapers...

barri1 06-15-2012 03:16 PM

I don't think I would even consider using cloth.. The add expense is well worth it..

psquared52 06-15-2012 03:40 PM

My daughter has used cloth diapers with her baby (she's almost a year old now). They are very pleased with them. They did it due to expense of pampers as well as the environmental impact. Know their daughter has only had diaper rash once. It does involve a bit more time but I know they would do it again.