Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Be good to yourself...! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/good-yourself-t69688.html)

Sadiemae 10-12-2010 09:53 AM

Agree!

Mimito2 10-12-2010 10:38 AM

I was told recently by my best friend that when we met, because of my silent, reserved and watchful nature, that she first thought I was uppity. Little did she know that I was just testing the water before jumping in with both feet. She was glad she had given me the benifit of the doubt.

"If you mouth is open, your ears are closed!" I need to shut my mouth and listen to my inner "child" when it tells me what to do. lol .....

redkimba 10-12-2010 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Kate, good thing to remember. I am very guilty of this, lately, with trying to get a decent job. I CANT go back to school because, you know, wont pass math, BLAH, BLAH. I need confidence, and I NEED to remember this.
How does one get confidence, if ANYONE knows, please tell me?!!!
Ah, I am rambleing, firstcup of coffee, lol!

Keep in mind that if/when you do go back to school and you don't know math (for example) - the school might offer a tutor program that is free to students.

Thanks for posting this. I run across it lots of times; I try to assure people that ignorance can be fixed.

Quiltforme 10-12-2010 10:51 AM

Thank you for the reminder. I decided to start challenging myself because I of the "fear" of the unknown. My son took over my computer and showed me a few things on my EQ5 program someone pointed out that " He wants to know what the buttons do and WE are afraid of what they might do!" I will be posting this to my machine!! I lost my foot for my machine and found that FMQ is so much easier than I thought I just have to follow the 3 P's practice, practice, practice. Thank you again!!

BellaBoo 10-12-2010 11:00 AM

You gain confidence by doing. It doesn't have to be done perfect and you don't have to present yourself as perfect. Just start doing.

dsb38327 10-12-2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
in reguards to quilting..i usually make a "funny" out of my mistakes. they don't worry me..and by posting about them, i hope it makes others feel, that they don't need to be perfect. that they happen in quilting,to all of us (veterans,newbies and thise in between) and they can be fixed,adjusted or made into something else!

I second what watterstide said. When I say I don't know, I did it wrong, the mistake is, etc. it is a statement of fact and not a put down to myself. Just wait until I post the finished picture of my (Danmar's Swish) Bargello. I love that quilt and I have made sooooo many mistakes while making it. I knew better, just didn't do better. Statement of fact.
I agree our phycie (how do you spell it?) hears us put ourselves down and over time will/may start believing what it hears. The truth is the truth. Statement of fact is statement of fact. Let's pump ourselves up. My Bargello has taught me that I do know, can remember how or look it up and come out with a beautiful quilt in the end. Somebody is going to care it has bearding, wrinkles in the backing at the sashing, so many rippit spots they are crying out in anguish, that I had to iron adhesive backing on one corner because my temper put tiny holes in the rippit spots. ????? No one cares. I don't care. I love the quilt and I can do it!!!!!! :D :D :D

ann clare 10-12-2010 02:06 PM

Thanks for this positive post.

janethagy 10-12-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Kate, good thing to remember. I am very guilty of this, lately, with trying to get a decent job. I CANT go back to school because, you know, wont pass math, BLAH, BLAH. I need confidence, and I NEED to remember this.
How does one get confidence, if ANYONE knows, please tell me?!!!
Ah, I am rambleing, firstcup of coffee, lol!

Keep in mind that if/when you do go back to school and you don't know math (for example) - the school might offer a tutor program that is free to students.

Thanks for posting this. I run across it lots of times; I try to assure people that ignorance can be fixed.

I went back to school when I was 50, had the opportunity and decided to take advantage of it.. Was so proud of myself when I graduated with my Associates degree in Office Technology.
Its so true, "You can do anything if you set your mind to it" . :thumbup:

ktbb 10-12-2010 02:31 PM

congratulations on your degree, janethagy

buslady 10-12-2010 02:46 PM

Particularly with the quilting, I have heard SO many people say, "I could never do that", I just love to show them differently. You can do anything you put your mind to. It may not turn out like you expected, but if you persevere you can do it! Some of the prettiest projects I've seen are not what they started out to be, but because of the experience they are actually BETTER! Also, if you even think you want to go back to school, don't let a little thing like being bad a math stop you. You will amaze yourself. I graduated at the bottom of my high school class. 13 years later I went to college, graduated the same year my oldest child did. Magna Cum Laude! It all depends on your determination!