Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hypnosis for weight loss (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hypnosis-weight-loss-t252312.html)

Three Dog Night 08-22-2014 11:50 AM

Hypnosis for weight loss

Has anyone tried hypnosis or self hypnosis for weight loss? I have tried WW and I have never had success with the program because I hate the journaling. The theory is you are given suggestions/tools to help you feel satisfied and quit eating and only eat when you feel hungry. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts or success with this.

Jan in VA 08-22-2014 12:05 PM

I am a certified hypnotherapist and began by working for Positive Changes, then a leader in the hypnosis for change industry. Weight loss was NOT my favorite part of the job, and honestly I didn't see lots of success in our clients. The process was a long term commitment, attending a session every week, along with group class session on nutrition, etc., and it was expensive.

I'm sure there are many programs available now, including one-time sessions, which you can find. Be sure to check out the successes before you buy into them to be sure your funds are being well used.

Weight loss is such a hard thing for most people because it is all too often a deep emotional issue rather than a will power issue. I wish you luck with your journey.

Jan in VA

Three Dog Night 08-22-2014 12:19 PM

Jan, thank you for your advice, will definitly do research before wasting my money and time.

lynnie 08-22-2014 04:23 PM

I went about 30 yrs ago when i weighed (laugh) 130 lbs. wanted to loose 10, haven't lost it yet, but found a bunch more.

Teddybear Lady 08-22-2014 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6855558)
I am a certified hypnotherapist and began by working for Positive Changes, then a leader in the hypnosis for change industry. Weight loss was NOT my favorite part of the job, and honestly I didn't see lots of success in our clients. The process was a long term commitment, attending a session every week, along with group class session on nutrition, etc., and it was expensive.

I'm sure there are many programs available now, including one-time sessions, which you can find. Be sure to check out the successes before you buy into them to be sure your funds are being well used.

Weight loss is such a hard thing for most people because it is all too often a deep emotional issue rather than a will power issue. I wish you luck with your journey.

Jan in VA

I wish I could figure out what my "deep emotional issue" is. I've tried almost every diet out there and still like to eat. I admit, food is a comfort to me.

nvb50 08-22-2014 05:42 PM

I tried it. It does not work

Jan in VA 08-22-2014 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by nvb50 (Post 6856017)
I tried it. It does not work

I agree, it doesn't work for many people.
But it is accurate to say that it DOES work for some. :)

Jan in VA

AngeliaNR 08-22-2014 08:29 PM

Jan, I'm curious--what issues did you find hypnosis to be effective for? It has always fascinated me, but I've never had someone in the know to ask.

adamae 08-22-2014 08:32 PM

Hypnosis worked for me to quit smoking over twenty years ago but not for weight control. I agree, it works for some and not always for others. With smoking , one must quit entirely but we can't quit eating entirely. Just my little old opinion.

Aurora 08-23-2014 03:52 AM

I still have all my WW information from the late 70's. No journaling then, it was much easier because you knew what you could eat during the week. I lost lots of weight on WW at that time. I also still have all my cookbooks as well.