Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   lavender linen oil, homemade (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lavender-linen-oil-homemade-t39762.html)

jljack 03-16-2010 07:53 PM

Spray for ironing. There is a very expensive ($6-$8 per bottle) ironing spray that is lavender scented you can buy only at quilt shops, fabric stores, online, etc. I guess this is supposed to be the generic of that.

jljack 03-16-2010 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Vodka for ironing you fabric?? Forget that, freeze the water, put the cubes in a glass and pour the vodka over that! Use the vinegar and water to clean the coffee pot!!

I like your idea, Deb!!! Ha-HA!!!! :lol: :lol:

LucyInTheSky 03-16-2010 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Spray for ironing. There is a very expensive ($6-$8 per bottle) ironing spray that is lavender scented you can buy only at quilt shops, fabric stores, online, etc. I guess this is supposed to be the generic of that.

Oh, ok, the best press stuff? Is that all it is? I assumed there was starch or sumthin' in it

amandasgramma 03-16-2010 08:39 PM

I was just wondering today if there was a cheaper way to get that stuff!!! I've never bought essential oils before....where would I find it???

amma 03-16-2010 10:33 PM

I think Michaels carries it :D:D:D

Gramof6 03-16-2010 10:58 PM

Make sure it is essential oils and not just scented fragrance. One thing about the Lavender is that it will not stain where not all essential oils are the same color so some "might" discolor fabric. Just test first to be safe if you do use something other than Lavender.

Deecee 03-17-2010 12:01 AM

You only need a drop or two of a pure essential oil. Fragrance oils have already been diluted with a carrier oil - usually a sunflower oil or vegetable oil depending on how cheap the product is.

Not only does it fragrance your linen, lavender is a natural insect repellent - handy in the linen press.

The expensive lavender waters are made from hydrosol - a by-product of the distillation process. It isn't necessary to add alcohol to this type of lavender water.

Guess what - I work on a lavender farm!

Elisabrat 03-17-2010 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I use it for all my ironing. Not long ago DH used the bathroom in my sewing room and asked why do I keep vodka in the bathroom. I wonder what was he thinking.

He was probably thinking he should be using your bathroom more often. And if you think he believed you think again. Mine would roll his eyes big time and give me a.. yeah ok.. uh huh.. sure.. wink wink..
Too funny and I go with the ice cubes myself. Who needs good smelling linens anyways? And after a glass or two they all smell just fine when you flop over and pass out.

Deb watkins 03-17-2010 07:16 AM

And after a glass or two they all smell just fine when you flop over and pass out.[/quote]

Been there....done that.....

Bobbinwinder 03-18-2010 09:01 AM

Ooooh..."cheap" Vodka? Around my house we buy the "cheapest"...and we don't mix it with lavendar oil! lol