Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   lavender linen oil, homemade (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/lavender-linen-oil-homemade-t39762.html)

TcMay 10-13-2011 12:34 PM

Do you have to add the esential oil or is it just for the nice scent?
May

jaciqltznok 10-13-2011 12:49 PM

yes you can, but these are PURE essential oils, not Fragrance oils. there is a huge difference!
Also you must know what the essential oils are used for in the homeopathic world. Like lavender is used for nerves , migraines , headaches , tension , emotional stress , sore muscles or tense muscles . Other uses include benefits for the skin , immune and circulatory systems.

Lemon oil smells refreshing, and is also good for excellent immune system booster and hence promotes good health and well-being. Moreover, it also improves the functioning of the digestive system and circulatory system. It also improves blood circulation and thereby helps to lower high blood pressure. The anti-septic, astringent and bacteria fighting properties of lemon oil, make it the best ointment for treating wounds and burns. Other than its medicinal uses, lemon oil is also known as one of the best cleaning and insect repellent agent. Given below are the various methods by which you can enjoy the benefits of the lemon essential oil.

and so it goes!

mike'sgirl 06-04-2012 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Maride (Post 877572)
I use it for all my ironing. Not long ago DH used the bathroom in my sewing room and asked why do I keep vodka in the bathroom. I wonder what was he thinking.

Oh my, I had to laugh...

drgranny 06-04-2012 11:28 AM

DH used the bathroom in your sewing room? Did you rub his nose in it????

nycquilter 06-06-2012 04:35 AM

you can make lavender-infused vodka and then wouldn't even need the oil. Put a few tablespoonfuls of dried lavender in about a cup of vodka, cover and let sit about 4-6 weeks. Strain out the flowers and dilute the vodka with water. I think I'm going to start using this, what a good idea. I hate spending lots of money on non-fabric items--don't you?

Christine- 03-24-2013 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by farnsworth (Post 877434)
so I have seen this that you can use in your iron that you can buy and they are pricey but I just found this recipe
2 cups distilled water
2 ounces vodka
20 drops lavender essential oil

and it makes me think can you use other essential oils? Does anyone know?

Yes, you can use any essential oil, be sure you aren't buying fragrance oil though. Fragrance oil is simply veg. oil with a few drops of essential oil added to it.

Kansas Heart 10-04-2013 05:26 PM

It is used in place of starch. Starch attracts silverfish and this not supposed to do that plus I think it makes fabric stiffer.

yel 10-04-2013 05:37 PM

i am al for the vodka on the rocks ....in the jello ...in the tea :cool::o

Morag 10-06-2013 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by farnsworth (Post 877434)
so I have seen this that you can use in your iron that you can buy and they are pricey but I just found this recipe
2 cups distilled water
2 ounces vodka
20 drops lavender essential oil

and it makes me think can you use other essential oils? Does anyone know?

You also have to add a little liquid starch. Can't remember how much!
Also the amount of Lavender depends on how much you are making (pint or gallon)etc.

Morag 10-06-2013 06:02 AM

yes...I do !