Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   For when people ask to borrow something? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-people-ask-borrow-something-t225171.html)

Pam B 07-06-2013 05:07 AM

In Nov I bought a really neat book at the LQS full of great quick little projects. I also had a few pages of holiday recipes and decorating ideas in it that I had picked up at the LQS, as well. Took it to school to show to a friend at lunch. (Yes...my name was on the front). It traveled among several teachers. Finally, two or three weeks later I tracked it to a teacher who said she took it home to show her mother. I never did get it back. Saddest part...I took it in the day after I had purchased it. Grrrrr

bearisgray 07-06-2013 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt (Post 6162126)
Kind of embarressing to ask a friend for collaterol.

Say it with a smile and explanation.

It is also hard on a friendship if an item is not returned or damaged.

Rose Marie 07-06-2013 06:19 AM

Learned my lesson when as a teen I loaned my 45 record collection to someone who never gave it back.
Im 73 yrs old now and still miss my records. Not replaceable.

Wintersewer 07-06-2013 06:31 AM

I have a Bernina 910 out on loan right now. I bought if through Craigslist for $100, but I do not want to have it damaged. I only loaned it for my friend/neighbor's grandchildren could to while renting a camp for the week. They are returning today and I'm HOPING that it comes back and in perfect shape.

I am VERY fussy about my things and don't even like my husband to use my things, because he doesn't take care of his own things. I have my own hand tools and my own gardening tools. Maybe i am selfish, but I don't want to get mad at anyone.

Wintersewer 07-06-2013 06:33 AM

I have a Bernina 910 out on loan right now. I bought if through Craigslist for $100, but I do not want to have it damaged. I only loaned it for my friend/neighbor's grandchildren could to while renting a camp for the week. They are returning today and I'm HOPING that it comes back and in perfect shape.

I am VERY fussy about my things and don't even like my husband to use my things, because he doesn't take care of his own things. I have my own hand tools and my own gardening tools. Maybe i am selfish, but I don't want to get mad at anyone.

Stitchit123 07-06-2013 06:45 AM

I go with the old adage Never a borrower nor a lender be. But I do get a kick out of the things people want to borrow.My new neighbor lost her drivers license -to many points for moving violations.-Well the locals know her car and her so she wanted to borrow my car for a few days and could not understand why I said NO. My '99 looks show room new -her 2011 looks like it has seen every crash up derby this side of the Mississippi. Now I'm the bad guy

mighty 07-06-2013 06:48 AM

I do not loan many thngs, I find that I usually do not get them back!!!!

daria 07-06-2013 07:03 AM

Wow this sounds familiar. Same thing here. Live and learn. And same thing with my kids!

svenskaflicka1 07-06-2013 07:50 AM

my mom always kept a little notebook on the bulletin board in her kitchen. both she and dad would write down what was loaned, the date it went out, and if it was not returned soon, had no compunction about calling about it. they were very careful about lending anything in the first place--and were meticulous about keeping track. i can't remember what day it is, let alone what went to whom--so i don't loan anything to anybody unless i can afford to lose it, and i try to stick to immediate family. i know where they live! (they tend to be more careful, too!)

Pete 07-06-2013 08:33 AM

I have learned my lesson in lending. I now carry address labels with me and point out that "I'll just put this on the item so you remember who it belongs to." Works so far.