Project Runway Question

Old 08-03-2012, 03:21 PM

never mind....
Old 08-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Banned

[h=1]Project Runway & Merrow[/h]This is from Merrow's website:

Yesterday this clip made it into the Merrow offices... Michael Kors commenting on a designers sewing skills on Project Runway. So how does one tell if an upcoming designer is sewing perfectly... One looks at the Merrow Stitch: EDIT: UPDATE --> THE PROJECT RUNWAY VIDEO WAS TAKEN DOWN so it goes. Michael Kors giveth (an endorsement) and the TV Gods taketh away our moment in the sun. Well until its posted on hulu and we can screen grab it, you'll have to take our word for it!

Maybe the only machine name that can be shown on TV is Brother, but that definitely was a Merrow machine on this week's episode.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:54 PM

They only use industrial sewing machines on Project Runway...Most of the time is someone is referring to a merrow stitch...it is a serger stitch.
Industrial machines usually only do 1 stitch...straight. So in order to finish the edges you need to go to a different machine and serger the edges.
I enjoy watching to see who is having terrible trouble with the machines on the show....usually those are the people that are gone pretty quick...
Old 08-05-2012, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Peepers View Post
I get these things in my brain and can't let go until I get the answer. I fast forwarded the episode on the website and they're saying "marrow" and "marrowing". So, I looked that up and found my answer. It's a Merrow sewing machine. From the show, it seems their well known in the design world if their making verbs out of the name. I went to the Merrow website and each machine is designed for one or two specialty stitches and the lowest price is $2650.00.
I love that show. I saw that one. I thought Andrea was a sweet mother hen type of designer. I don't think I like her any more. The Minneapolis guy got "kissed" off the show. Well that makes three now from Minneapolis that have gotten the boot. Maybe they should try someone from St. Paul. I don't think St. Paul has designers!!!!!!! We do other stuff!!!!
One thing though, one can learn a lot from that show. Edie
Old 08-05-2012, 04:56 AM

I thought they were saying "narrower" like maybe serging some off because she was having such a difficult time cutting that skirt fabric and that was a way to trim it down when using scissors would be too difficult. I don't know, I didn't really like any of them either!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 AM

I think Project Runway has definitely become like other reality shows and going in for the more extreme personalities, though seems to be true for some of the pics that I've seen for the major designer shows that are in the paper as well. They design flashy outfits that look like the Bob Mackey outfits made for Cher.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

I like watching the show just to see what crazy ideas they come up with. Like making a dress using candy. Some of them get very creative.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:23 AM

It could have been a blind hemmer machine..they look like a smashed serger..low and fat. Or it cold have been a cover hem machine,I have one and it looks like a serger.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 PM

I like to watch the show. I did not agree with some of their choices the other night, but we don't see them up close. Maybe they see something we don't.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:20 PM

My friend in PA worked in production shop that made Koret and other brands of clothes in the 1980's.

She called the large "serger type " machine a Marrow because she said it was the name of the manufacturer of it.
Naturally, it was industrial but later yrs she said my serger was similar. In 70' & 80's I don't think many of
us had small home sergers. Kind of like pc's --until they got processed for the masses