Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Project Runway Question

Banned

Project Runway Question

I know there must be some Project Runway fans on here. I have a question about one of the machines that the older lady, Andrea, was trying to thread on Thursday's show. It looked like a serger, but it was called something that started with a "b". Burrower, borer, ? Anybody catch that and know what the machine is for?

Blog Entries
    Saw that ..wondered the same thing...and some of their clothes were disasters last night..especially the frumpy one they called it..I wasn't impressed with any of them...but watch every week...LOL

Blog Entries

project Runway

I'm a long time "Project Runway" watcher. I started watching in Season 1. It is the only t.v show that I really watch.
    I heard the comment last night. They didn't give a very good shoot of the machine. It sounded like some kind of serger.
    Your question is worth sending to their website.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE Project Runway! I haven't gotten to see any of the new episodes this season yet. But I have them saved on my DVR. Maybe this weekend. . ..
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Don't watch the show but there is a blindstitch machine. Babylock put one out years ago.

Banned
    I get these things in my brain and can't let go until I get the answer. I fast forwarded the episode on the website and they're saying "marrow" and "marrowing". So, I looked that up and found my answer. It's a Merrow sewing machine. From the show, it seems their well known in the design world if their making verbs out of the name. I went to the Merrow website and each machine is designed for one or two specialty stitches and the lowest price is $2650.00.

I have watched almost all of the seasons..but this one I just can't get into. I will probably skip this season. The people seem so odd this time around.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Brother has the exclusive license for Project Runway machines. The only types of machines in the "Project Runway Line" are sewing machines and one serger.
    https://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewi...y&WT.svl=news2
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Brother has the exclusive license for Project Runway machines. The only types of machines in the "Project Runway Line" are sewing machines and one serger.
    https://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewi...y&WT.svl=news2
    I believe that the machines that are used on the show are industrial machines, not the machines for home use.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I love Project Runway, I have been watching since Season1 also. Why are the participants getting weirder and weirder do you suppose. Are they really more talented, or do they choose them to attract more attention (viewers). They guy who won last night really should be the winner this season, so far all his items have been gorgeous. Thanks for letting us know what a marrow is. I thought it was some type of serger.

never mind....
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Banned
    Project Runway & Merrow

This is from Merrow's website:

Yesterday this clip made it into the Merrow offices... Michael Kors commenting on a designers sewing skills on Project Runway. So how does one tell if an upcoming designer is sewing perfectly... One looks at the Merrow Stitch: EDIT: UPDATE --> THE PROJECT RUNWAY VIDEO WAS TAKEN DOWN so it goes. Michael Kors giveth (an endorsement) and the TV Gods taketh away our moment in the sun. Well until its posted on hulu and we can screen grab it, you'll have to take our word for it!

Maybe the only machine name that can be shown on TV is Brother, but that definitely was a Merrow machine on this week's episode.

They only use industrial sewing machines on Project Runway...Most of the time is someone is referring to a merrow stitch...it is a serger stitch.
    Industrial machines usually only do 1 stitch...straight. So in order to finish the edges you need to go to a different machine and serger the edges.
    I enjoy watching to see who is having terrible trouble with the machines on the show....usually those are the people that are gone pretty quick...
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peepers View Post
    I get these things in my brain and can't let go until I get the answer. I fast forwarded the episode on the website and they're saying "marrow" and "marrowing". So, I looked that up and found my answer. It's a Merrow sewing machine. From the show, it seems their well known in the design world if their making verbs out of the name. I went to the Merrow website and each machine is designed for one or two specialty stitches and the lowest price is $2650.00.
    I love that show. I saw that one. I thought Andrea was a sweet mother hen type of designer. I don't think I like her any more. The Minneapolis guy got "kissed" off the show. Well that makes three now from Minneapolis that have gotten the boot. Maybe they should try someone from St. Paul. I don't think St. Paul has designers!!!!!!! We do other stuff!!!!
    One thing though, one can learn a lot from that show. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I thought they were saying "narrower" like maybe serging some off because she was having such a difficult time cutting that skirt fabric and that was a way to trim it down when using scissors would be too difficult. I don't know, I didn't really like any of them either!

I think Project Runway has definitely become like other reality shows and going in for the more extreme personalities, though seems to be true for some of the pics that I've seen for the major designer shows that are in the paper as well. They design flashy outfits that look like the Bob Mackey outfits made for Cher.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I like watching the show just to see what crazy ideas they come up with. Like making a dress using candy. Some of them get very creative.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

It could have been a blind hemmer machine..they look like a smashed serger..low and fat. Or it cold have been a cover hem machine,I have one and it looks like a serger.
    Pat, Lover of Art Deco and Applique
    www.BobbinKnobbins.com

I like to watch the show. I did not agree with some of their choices the other night, but we don't see them up close. Maybe they see something we don't.

My friend in PA worked in production shop that made Koret and other brands of clothes in the 1980's.

She called the large "serger type " machine a Marrow because she said it was the name of the manufacturer of it.
    Naturally, it was industrial but later yrs she said my serger was similar. In 70' & 80's I don't think many of
    us had small home sergers. Kind of like pc's --until they got processed for the masses

I did go to their site today I do not watch the show but we had a hometown girl on season 10 so had to see what she did. Melissa Flies

Blog Entries
    I did not catch what they said either. I look at Project Runaway every week and really enjoy it most of the time. However, I don't really care for the over the top challenges they come up with now and then, such as the one last Thursday night. What amazes me is how fast they put those garments together.