Puppy chewed.. Oh noooo

Old 02-04-2017, 10:45 PM

My mom had a Manchester terrier (looks like a min pin) named Missy. If that sounds like a spoiled dog - she was. When she was about 6 months old my folks left her home while they went to the grocery store. When they came home they found she had shredded a full box of kleenex and the newspaper which was left on a hassock (the paper was for a major city so it was not small). They should have taken a picture because every time the talked about it they laughed. Missy confined the mess to one room, so the litter was rather deep. Missy could do no wrong.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:38 PM

Had a Rat Terrier older pup and come home to a whole roll of toilet paper wound around all kinds of stuff. She sure had fun while we were gone. And ddogs LOVE to tear up paper of any kind..
Old 02-05-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by kat13 View Post
My son is here helping out and my puppy (11 months) shepherd chewed the handle off of a bag that holds an expensive tool. I want to replace the handle and found the same material
(Strap) on an old dog harness. It's
A thick material, I'm not sure if I can use a universal needle.. I have a 100/16 and 90/14 any suggestions?
No Not geting rid of dog! Lol
Thx everyone, nice to know I'm not alone!! Was more the grown son left tools out where dog could get at them!
I fixed the strap on my first sewing machine, not expensive but a workhorse brother! No problems with
It at all!! Then son leaves another tool
Carrier out where dog can get to it!!
He can fix that strap!!
Old 02-05-2017, 04:02 PM

Please, please, make sure all of your cords are up out of puppy reach. We lost our cat years ago because she bit my iron cord and was electicuted. Puppies are a trial, but the joy they bring makes it worthwhile.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:14 AM

Our golden, Zoe, just had her 5th birthday. We bought her at 5 weeks old. I think she was born growling and chewing. She chewed our coffee table, 2 queen size sheets, back door facing, chewed a hole in the bathroom wall, ate 5 red tip shrubs and pulled them up by the roots, destroyed 3 throw rugs, countless socks, a $10 dollar bill, rolls of toilet paper, 2 unplugged cords, and the last thing was the last quilt my grandmother made. I was sick. Zoe had to go. Husband said, " No, we have the same birthday." She was already going to a trainer that (I found out later) did not treat her right. Lots of money and no training. I found another trainer. I told him to please help me get her under control or help find her another home. I left her with him not knowing what I was going to do. Goldens are supposed to be good dogs. Zoe is our second golden. Terry (the new trainer) called me 2 days later. He said I could come get Zoe. I arrived at Terry's and asked him could he help Zoe. He brought her to me healing and sitting and walking on his right side. I use a cane on my left side. The first trainer taught her to walk on his left side. He said he forgot. Zoe and I continued to train with Terry every week for 2 years. She did not learn to come when I call her. Her vet. jokingly said she had doggy ADHD. She is better now. I think she is a late bloomer. She also could not be a therapy pet dog. Maybe I will try when she is a little older.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Our right out of vet school new vet told us to leave the tv or radio on when we left our dog alone. That will relieve the separation anxiety most dogs feel when left alone. If it is too quiet they get very upset being alone thus the trash can turn over, paper shredding, chewing, etc. Of course we leave the tv tuned to the Animal Planet station when we are gone.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Now Marty is the perfect dog.
Wow! I've never had one that was a "perfect dog". But then again, I probably wouldn't like it if I did. I'm used to my quirky dachshunds. Definitely not "perfect" but eminently lovable to me.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Our right out of vet school new vet told us to leave the tv or radio on when we left our dog alone. That will relieve the separation anxiety most dogs feel when left alone. If it is too quiet they get very upset being alone thus the trash can turn over, paper shredding, chewing, etc. Of course we leave the tv tuned to the Animal Planet station when we are gone.
Scooter mostly chewed things when I was there. LOL. I crated him when I left because I was afraid he'd eat the house. I don't think there was any separation anxiety going on he just had so much energy, he couldn't be left alone for more than a few minutes or he was into something. I even had to put him outside or lock him in the bathroom with me when I took a shower.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:45 AM

When my youngest dog was a puppy he chewed the top of my tan featherweight's case. I grudgingly let him stay, the case was pristine until he arrived.
Sharon in Texas