Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
a question for the UK members >

a question for the UK members

a question for the UK members

Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 AM

As others have said before we do have flies but you would only ever find the odd one flying around the house. We really don't need screens cos there is nothing to keep out. At night if you have the light on and windows open you may get a moth or two but that is about it. If there are a lot of trees around you will get midges (they love me, I am like fillet steak to them lol) but that is about it.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by cannyquilter View Post
As others have said before we do have flies but you would only ever find the odd one flying around the house. We really don't need screens cos there is nothing to keep out. At night if you have the light on and windows open you may get a moth or two but that is about it. If there are a lot of trees around you will get midges (they love me, I am like fillet steak to them lol) but that is about it.
Gotta ask...what are midges..mosquitoes or gnats?? lol
Old 07-01-2013, 04:26 PM
mim

I was so surprised several years ago when I was walking the pathways, It was close to dusk and I was walking along a canal -- and NO mosquitos!!!! Then I started to think -- I hadn't seen insect eating birds either. That was in southern UK but I don't remember getting eaten alive in other parts of the UK on my other walks. Here in Maine, we have black fly season, and mosquito times every evening. I live on the water so maybe I have more than some areas.

But I do love it here in the summer.

Mim
Old 07-01-2013, 10:31 PM

These comments made me smile (in a good way) I live in the south of UK, I do have screens on my windows in summer, people near me think I'm odd but its to keep my terrier happy, she is terrified of anything flying/buzzing indoors!!!!!!
Another strange thing happens at end of July early August when the ants fly - only last a few days but is very unpleasant at the time.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by labtechkty View Post
Gotta ask...what are midges..mosquitoes or gnats?? lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_midge hope this helps, I live on the Isle of Anglesey next to a Nature reserve and we have huge clouds of midges here, it drives visitors away as they are such a nuisance, and painful if they like you!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:26 AM

Hi Guys,

Not only do we get flies, we now get mosquitos... which I am allergic to!!!!!

Yes we have palm trees, and lots of other plants that you may not think we can grow..... I am growing lemon trees at the moment and they are doing very well.

Hugs

Caroline
Old 07-02-2013, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
Hi Guys,

Not only do we get flies, we now get mosquitos... which I am allergic to!!!!!

Yes we have palm trees, and lots of other plants that you may not think we can grow..... I am growing lemon trees at the moment and they are doing very well.

Hugs

Caroline
It just goes to prove the climate changes, whilst I lived in Scotland, I moved here 7 years ago, I grew palms, NZ Bottle plants etc; with great success, even had a grape vine in a sheltered spot in the back garden, but wasn't there long enough to see if it fruited.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:50 PM

I lived in England for almost 2 years. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to open the windows on my "semi-detached" home, no screens, and let the breezes blow without getting flies and mosquitoes in the house. I lived in 3 different places in the West Midlands, and they were all the same: no screens, no bugs to speak of. Loved it!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 AM

I looked up midges. They sound like miserable pests. I'll take my few annoying flies to those midges any day!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:11 PM
mim

They are like our "no-see-ums" black flies

Nasty things that bite in the corners of your eyes as well as everywhere else.
Our big problem on the northern east coast of the US is the deer ticks which, after they bite, if not taken of right away can cause Lyme disease. Many problems -- mental, nerve and muscle inflamation and can last forever. We watch carefully every time we come in after working or walking outside.

Mim

Originally Posted by maryellen2u View Post
I looked up midges. They sound like miserable pests. I'll take my few annoying flies to those midges any day!