Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Re-canning food?

I picked up a couple of those huge cans of cheese sauce and jalapenos and I was wondering whether it would be alright to open up the cans and put the contents into smaller jars, more like serving size.

I wouldn't cook it in the jars like canning (although I could), just seal it with a FoodSaver jar lid attachment.

You MUST refrigerate it if you don't process it!

I'd say you would need to refrigerate or freeze to preseve it if you aren't going to process it.

Guess I'll just keep it in the big cans then. Don't want to freeze it and don't know what re-processing will do to it.

I watched some videos on food storage by Wendy Dewitt and she re-packages things like dry mixes and chocolate but I don't know about liquids.

Power Poster
    Only if you would be able to use it up in a couple of weeks.

Not worth the risk of food poisoning! Once you break the vaccuum by opening the can, the food is exposed to all the same airborn things that decay fresh food. If you have a cooperative extension office nearby, they sometimes have food safety classes cheap.

I have successfully froze the cheese sauce. I put it in small portion zip bags and freeze. Thaw in the frig, and stir real well you want to use it.

definitely needs some sort of refrigeration/freezing

Maybe I could put small portions into FoodSaver bags, seal, and freeze them. Laying flat they would be pretty compact. I think I will try that. I had a brain freeze and was picturing it frozen in jars, which I didn't want to do.

I've put the cheese sauce in the bags that come with the food saver and vacuumed the air out then stuck it in the freezer. Was still good a couple months later. I don't know how the jars will work; but the bags do.