Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A Relationship on the Mend - Merry Christmas to Me! >

A Relationship on the Mend - Merry Christmas to Me!

A Relationship on the Mend - Merry Christmas to Me!

Old 12-27-2010, 02:39 AM

My SIL has been mad at us for about 5 yrs. We haven't spent Christmas or Thanksgiving with them in all this time - she makes sure they have other commitments that don't include us - she never answers the phone when we call, and so on and so forth. Since it's only my brother and me, we see each other frequently, but that came to an abrupt halt. Where his wife is concerned, my brother doesn't rock the boat, he prefers peace at any cost to conflict, so our relationship has suffered as a result.

My DH and SIL were raised together so my DH totally understands. My DH and I just got caught in the middle of her family feud and although we were managing to keep ourselves out of the mainstream, my poor DH let something slip in an innocent conversation with "outsted" family members and suddenly we were in the dog house.

Well, when I called a few days ago my SIL answered the phone!! And my Xmas gift from her was a basket she had woven herself - believe me, she weaves astonishing baskets and her quilts are works of art so to get something made by her is a major treat. I almost fell off my chair!! I'm so happy!! My DH tells me it's little steps with her so I will step lightly, but we already have plans to visit them in February for their grandson's cub to boy scout celebration.

So color me freakin' happy this holiday season!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Power Poster

Aw, I am really happy for you! They do say Christmas is the season of Miracles...I hope things continue to get better for you all. HUGS!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:05 AM

My sister didn't talk to me for 15 years. I kept openning the door, just in case she wanted to talk. Finally, she did. It was very small steps - today, we talk every day. BUT, I keep my feelings safe - I don't trust it won't happen again. She's just like that.

Glad your SIL is "coming around". Just act as if nothing ever happened.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:44 AM

Glad to hear that. Good for you and your family. Family relationships are so difficult. I didn't even get a hello from my only surviving brother this year. Something is not right. I, too, keep opening the door. But he doesn't even want to peek.

I try to keep things together with my DH's children, who can be a very selfish, spoiled group. My DH says he should call me Mrs. Kissinger, but that would make him Mr. Kissinger and he is not that by any stretch of the imagination.

I just keep trying and keep getting hurt but I live by that golden rule...do unto others...

It may not work in my lifetime, but I can put my head on my pillow at night and know I have done my best by trying to share my love.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:52 AM

So happy to hear that she has taken steps to finally make amends. Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:52 AM

family can be very disappointing. DH has a daughter who does not speak to him, no one can figure out why. Just vague "you weren't there for me" kind of stuff. He has 3 other kids, got cards from all of them, none of them called on Christmas day.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:11 AM

Wonderful news. Keep it going.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:26 AM

Congratulations! It's so horrible when family can't be family. My brother's were married to women that didn't get along, it was pretty tense at family gatherings until I took them both into mom and dad's bedroom and had a talk with them. I told them both that they could act any way they wanted on their turf but when they walked through the front door of mom and dad's house they were to treat each other with civility. I also told them that if either one of them weren't mature enough to do that then that one needed to stay home. They still couldn't stand each other but they acted decent at mom and dad's.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 AM

Now, that's a good Christmas present. May in Jersey
Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 AM

I have 10 siblings so it seems that there is always someone unhappy with someone else. Since there are so many at large family gatherings they can generally avoid each other until they get over it. Only one brother never comes it seems he is angry at everyone. Don't know why. Although, I suspect, his now ex may not have told him of get togethers and he felt excluded.
So far I've had no luck at changing that.