Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Should we get a second cat? >

Should we get a second cat?

Should we get a second cat?

Old 02-10-2017, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I think it's easier when you get the cats at the same time; however, it also depends on the temperments of both cats. At various times we have adopted 2 kittens at a time; then when one passed away we did get another one and they got along fairly well. Right now I have a cat that's 10+ years old and I seriously doubt that she would get along well with another cat; and especially since my DH was not happen when I brought TJ home to live; however, since we downsized to a 2-bedroom apt. and I spent several months in Rehab off and on since we moved to MA; DH has had to take care of her and he has mellowed towards her; although she is definitely MY cat, who thinks she is part dog as she always follows me around and has to be near me. If something happened to her, I don't think I would get another cat, as we are getting on in years; but cats can be such terrific companions.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:18 PM

I wouldn't, it could ruin Charlie. He's happy in his own little world with all of your attention.
I'm sure he doesn't want to share. I know our LuLu wouldn't want her space invaded by
another personality and have to share her space.
Good luck either way.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:40 AM

Watch some Friskies commercials called: "Dear Kitten". Really cute from the cat's viewpoint.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:44 AM

At one time I had five cats of various ages and adopted at different times. They were crated together in one of those large multi-level crates while I was at work. They were playing together in no time.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:28 AM

I used to adopt my cats one at a time. This last time we adopted littermates. That being said, Yes you do need 2 feeding dishes and 2 litter boxes. germanquilter is correct. What she does is what I have learned from research and experience. There are going to be some cats that are accepting of other cats and some that are not. If you are adopting from a rescue, they should be able to help with matching personalities (I hope) and maybe a test visit between the two. Absolutely, make sure both are neutered. Unneutered animals are very territorial - male or female.

Good luck. Most cats are more social than people think and will enjoy another cat being around. It just takes time.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:42 AM

Well, folks, hubby was willing to visit the rescue shelter yesterday so I took advantage. We rescued an older, (10 yrs old) neutered male that we've named Jack (yes, our Charlie is a neutered male, too) who is very affectionate.
We did it the wrong way I guess, by keeping Jack in the carrier for a half hour or so while Charlie began to realize his world was changing, then letting him out. Charlie has been very rude, but is slowly getting adjusted. I think I only heard one hiss so far today. Actually Jack pretty much ignores Charlie. We kept them separated overnight but they've both been free to roam around the house today as they please. And it's been very quiet! Jack sprawls out where ever he feels like and sleeps quite contentedly ignoring Charlie. Charlie tries to keep an eye on Jack most of the time but has been sprawling out where ever to sleep too. I think they'll be fine in time.
We do have separate dishes and a separate litter box. Jack will have his 'meet & greet' with the vet next Thursday.
We didn't really want a kitten. We're retired and we wanted older, settled pets. We actually got Jack for free since the shelter was participating in a Million Cat Challenge that brought the adoption fee to only $20. But some donor had given money to pay the adoption fees for older cats so we didn't have to pay for him! Of course, the vet bills start next week!! Lol!
Old 02-11-2017, 01:57 PM

My Burmese black ruled the roost! She made any other cat miserable. She would hide and jump on the unsuspecting adult cat or hiss at the newcomer. We gave up and kept the Burmese who lived to be 17 years old.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:41 PM

Congratulations! It sounds like Jack and Charlie are off to a great start! They may agree to just live together in the same space but they may end up being best buddies.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:09 AM

Yes they need separate everything. As for getting along it depends on the personality of the other. Female cats tend to be more alpha in my experience. It is best to get a more docile second cat so the first will not feel threatened. 2 alpha animals is a nightmare, ask me how I know.