Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I get this second machine? >

Should I get this second machine?

Should I get this second machine?

Old 04-04-2014, 12:23 PM

Default Should I get this second machine?

Hi, Everyone,

I could use a little advice on whether or not to buy a second sewing machine.

Before this past fall, I had been a hand quilter for roughly ten years. I still love hand quilting, but then I bought my first sewing machine in September. It's a Juki TL-2010q. I absolutely love it. Beautiful lockstitch machine; perfect for quilting. I'm so glad I have it.

Here's the thing: having a sewing machine has opened me up to garment sewing. I'm still very much a beginner, but I've made a few skirts, several bags, a dress and I'm working on my second dress now. Garment sewing, at least for me, is way more challenging than quilting, but I just might have found my next big hobby. Since the Juki 2010q has only a straight stitch, I very quickly discovered that it was somewhat limiting for garment sewing. I started eyeing Juki's other machines and fell for their Exceed line, thinking I would continue to make do with only the straight stitch and, maybe in six months or a year, I'd buy a Juki HZL-F300 (the lower end of the three Exceed machines).

Today my lovely and amazing sewing teacher mentioned that she was going to get a new machine for classes and offered to sell me her Juki HZL-F400 for $500 (the F400 is the middle model). It's been used for classes and by her for probably a year or more, but she offered to take it to her mechanic first for a tune-up and cleaning. It's the same machine I use in her classes and I know I like sewing on it.

A new F300 runs for about $600 and a new F400 (the machine she wants to sell me) runs for $900. Five hundred dollars for a year-old F400 seems like a good price to me. Though I know it's been put through its paces, I trust her mechanic will make sure it's in good shape. What do you think? Is it a good deal?

Here's another thing: I'm a little concerned about buying such a fancy machine when I'm so very new to garment sewing and when I already bought a new machine only six months ago. Shouldn't I get a few more dresses under my belt before I buy a new machine? Or, should I jump on a good deal for a machine I know I like?

Sorry for the longwinded email…I really appreciate the good advice on this site.

Best,
AsabrinaO
Old 04-04-2014, 12:34 PM

Personally if you can afford it - I would jump. A deal like that doesn't come along very often. I realize it is a used machine - but there is used and then there is USED. I like buying a used machine from someone I know as I also know how they take care of their equipment. If you take care of it they will normally go a long way and 1 year used by someone who knows what they are doing and has taken care of the machine is nothing.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:37 PM

Forgot to add - if after you get it you really don't think that you are getting the use out of it that you thought, you can probably sell it for real close to what you bought it at.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:12 PM

I sewed clothes for years and years (about 50), and as long as your machine has a straight stitch, way to make a button hole, and a way to back stitch enough to form a knot, that is all I needed to create my clothes and even a suit for my husband. You must be making fancier clothes that I did.

However, if you can afford the machine and would enjoy it, I would say go for it. It sounds like a very reasonable deal. You might want to sew on it a bit first and see if it is friendly. See if it has the additional things you need. It is not a very "used" machine, and you already like it. If you want it, go for it! LIke quiltstringz said, you can probably sell it easily if you lose interest in making clothes, purses, etc.

Dina
Old 04-04-2014, 02:18 PM

I just reread your original post, and since you have already used the machine and like it, I would just go for it. Lots of quilters have more than one machine. And you are a quilter and garment maker now!

I realized after I wrote that the machine I used to make clothes on had lots of different stitches, mainly decorative, and I just never used them. That is probably what this machine has that your current one doesn't have. Ha, I just looked up at my machine, the one I mainly quilt on, and it has 104 stitches. I waste so much of this good machine by not using it. Got me thinking here....

But, I am going to say to go with what you want. Making clothes is very satisfying, particularly if you are hard to fit. I hope you enjoy your new hobby for years and years, like I did.

Dina
Old 04-04-2014, 02:59 PM

As a clothes and home décor seamstress before becoming a quilter...I say "go for it"...I love the blindstitch hem, the auto buttonholer, the decorative stitches....I USE my machine. I have the Juki also for quilting but have a Husqvarna with lots of stitches for regular sewing!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:18 PM

If you're looking for someone to talk you OUT of purchasing this machine, you've come to the wrong place! We're nothing but a bunch of enablers here!

If you are comfortable with the machine and it's mechanical status, I would certainly go for it. Like Dina, I never felt the need for fancy stitches with garment or home dec sewing but if that's what you want; the machine has it; you can afford it; it's a known quantity - certain go for it! And enjoy.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:52 PM

Me personally I have seen nothing but good things about that exceed line, I would jump on it especially if she takes great care of her machines
Old 04-04-2014, 03:58 PM

If you like it, go for it. It makes sewing more fun to have good equipment, new or old.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
If you're looking for someone to talk you OUT of purchasing this machine, you've come to the wrong place! We're nothing but a bunch of enablers here!
That's exactly what I was thinking....I can't imagine too many members will discourage purchase of more machines.
Serita