Small World Coincidences

Old 02-18-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
Here's an uncomfortable small world coincidence that took place in Boston MA: When my GM was giving birth to her last child (first one born in a hospital), the other woman sharing the room was giving birth to her first child. Turns out they both were listed under the same name of Mrs.***** * ***** (my grandfather's full name). The other woman's child was also my grandfather's child. He apparently had been living a double life. And that is why I never met my grandfather.
OH!! S******T! WHOA, what are the chances!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:53 AM

Our son met a second cousin for the first time when our son's army unit took the place of the cousin's unit in Iraq.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 AM

i purchased a sweater/coat from an artisan on etsy, i was in love with her work. as i looked at her sites, i found item after item that were common in our lives--her birthday, same as my mom's. she lives just miles from where my hubby grew up , in another state. her favorite foreign travel destination is a city in south america where our nephew is a principal in an american school. her favorite band is my favorite band (and i'm an old fart, with odd musical taste--she is the same age as my middle daughter). as we have "talked" more and more, we have found more and more "serendipity" in our lives. i'm convinced that we will eventually figure out that we are related...
Old 02-19-2011, 10:09 PM

I live near Boise, Idaho. My parents lived in Twin Falls, about 2 hours down the interstate. My inlaws lived in Ogden, another 3 hours further on. There is not much btween Odgen and Twin Falls, long stretches of desolation. One winter weekend, we were on the way back from Ogden in a pretty bad storm. We were creeping along, maybe halfway to Twin, well aware of the many cars that had slid off the interstate, when I noticed someone moving in one of the stranded cars. No cell phones in those days. We stopped, and found two older ladies, that we took on in to Twin Falls. During the ride, we discovered that they were my parents' doctor's wife and his mother.

Two of my brothers-in-law married women named Linda. They ended up living next door to each other, and often got each other's mail.

My dad had four brothers, and for a time, all lived near each other. To avoid confusion, Instead of being called "Mrs. Smith" (in the gentler time when women were called Mrs. instead of thier first names) They were each called by thier husbands first name: "Mrs. James" Mrs Joe", etc
Old 02-21-2011, 12:03 AM

My dear Mum and Dad both passed away on feb 15th, Dad in 1979, Mum 27 years later in 2006.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 AM

I was in London. My boss had tickets to the Ballet for his wifes birthday, but one of their kids got sick, so he gave the tickets to me. I took my sister. We were standing on the stairs waiting to go in, and I turned around and a girl I went to high school with was there.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:06 AM

When I was very young...maybe 4 or 5...I would go with my Dad to town from the farm. He always went to one gas station, Jenson's. The manager there always picked me up and said that he wanted to take me home as he had "nothing but dumb boys", then pointed to one who was working there. About 13 years later, I met a man (now DH) at a different gas station. (needed tires checked) We married, found out DH is the 3rd of 4 boys...I am the 3rd of 4 kids...I have 3 brothers...2 older one younger..same as DH. DH was born in 54, me in 64. DH's bday is the same as my DGM, DH's son was born on my Dad's bday. Our first son was born on my Mom's bday...second son on DH's oldest brothers bday.

By the way....that "dumb boy" at Jenson's when I was five...and the man that always wanted to take me home? That "dumb boy" is now my DH of 28 years and the man who wanted to take me home is my father in law. ;) Kind of odd how that works out? :) Too many other coincidents to believe also. Guess that we were meant to be together :D
Old 02-21-2011, 03:43 AM

I told you all earlier about meeting my DH who is from the same county that my dad grew up in and that I was born in. Well I met my DH online in August of 2003. My father passed away in Dec of the same year. At the time of my father's passing I had lamented to an aunt that I didn't have a single picture of my father. I moved home, married and a few weeks later my aunt mailed me a big envelope full of pictures of my father. My DH and I had a good time going through all of the pictures and figuring out who all the people were in them. In the end there was one picture of my father and lovely blond haired gal on my dad's horse. I knew the horse but neither of us knew who she was and on the back of the picture it said George and ? My DH got on the phone and made several calls to people who had gone to high school with my dad but none of them could figure out who she was either. As the calls were being made a friend/neighbor stopped in. We were telling him about this picture and how we couldn't figure out who the gal was in it. So I handed him the picture to have a look. He looks at it for a split second and says, "well that's mom". Huh? "Yeah, that's my mom. We were pretty dumb founded over this revelation.

A couple weeks later, dead of winter and dark out, we got a phone call from this friend/neighbor who needed help getting a tractor started. We headed over to his place and found him and his dad outside working on the tractor. The friend told me to go inside where it was warm and I did exactly that. When I walked through the door, here stands this very pretty blond haired woman. Right away I knew who she was. The first words out of her mouth to me were "You're George's daughter". I felt really awkward. I said yes I am. Then I asked her if her son (the friend/neighbor) had told her about the picture. She didn't know what I was talking about. She just saw my dad in my face. Strangely, I look like my mother. When I was born my father named me, first name and middle name, after two of his old girlfriends and this woman was not either of them. LOL! I'm just waiting for the day when I meet them in some odd and peculiar way.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:40 PM

Not a coincidence, just a really funny story.
I was at Walmart with my daughter getting ready for a joint weekend campout, but we kept getting separated. I wasn't too concerned, knowing we would eventually meet at the car anyway.
As I rounded a corner, I heard a young woman say, somewhat exasperated, "I'm really in a hurry, stay by me". I thought, been there done that, but there was no child with her--oh-oh. Then the woman, said, a little crankier, "Mom, stay with me, please!" Oh, I thought, she's a sandwich mom, how sweet that's she's taking care of her mother.
To my utter surprise, she reached out and grabbed my arm! It was my own daughter!!
In my own defence, I'll point out that she had recently dyed her hair darker and was wearing down, when she usually wears it up. She also walks much faster than I can.