Tinsel on Tree

Old 12-03-2016, 10:10 PM

My mom used the old type tinsel. Apparently, how to correctly put tinsel on the tree was a major obsession with her because it took much discussion to do it. Consequently, I don't have any desire to put tinsel on my tree. I'm not as obsessive as she was and just don't really like it that well. I have gold star garlands the I put on the tree. I love the sparkle and little stars.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

i loved the old tinsel, but it contained lead, so no more for me. i use varioius garlands, muy two favories are a gold chain and plastic icicles
Old 12-04-2016, 04:25 AM

No tree here, as I got fed up with getting our one cat out of it. We got Boots just before the holidays about 12 years ago, and no matter what we tried, couldn't keep him out of it. Final straw was the crashing down of the tree about 3:00 in the morning. What a mess
Old 12-04-2016, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
My mom used the old type tinsel. Apparently, how to correctly put tinsel on the tree was a major obsession with her because it took much discussion to do it. Consequently, I don't have any desire to put tinsel on my tree. I'm not as obsessive as she was and just don't really like it that well. I have gold star garlands the I put on the tree. I love the sparkle and little stars.

My thoughts EXACTLY. My mom made us hang us each strand "just so" and I hated her OCD-ishness about it. Took the fun out of it, but she wasn't one to take no for an answer when it came to helping. Plus the darn stuff back then was also static-y, at least in our house. So trying to get the tinsel strands 1) separated from each other out of the package 2) perfectly hanging even on both sides and 3) not sticking to us as we went, was a trifecta from holiday purgatory. We always had real trees that we dug up from the "back 40" which had to be replanted when the ground had thawed. Mama knew the dangers of tinsel to wildlife, so we had to carefully pick each and every strand OFF the tree before Daddy replanted.

I use wired ribbon on my tree and if I get anyone to help me, I am never persnickety. I just say "try to balance the placement." That's it. But I only live with hubby and teenage son now, both of whom have zero interest in trim trimming. The upside is I have free rein to decorate it my way!

Last edited by zozee; 12-04-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I still have an unopened package of the old lead tinsel tucked in my Christmas storage boxes. Probably the original tinsel. I will never open this box. I use it and other old ornaments in a basket for display.

I love the look of tinsel on the tree but would never use it do to health hazard of pets and the environment impact.
peace
Old 12-04-2016, 05:38 AM

I get nostalgic for that sparkle from my childhood trees. Hubby and I used tinsel first few years we were married, but had to stop because our cat ate it and we had to pull it out the other end...luckily no damage to the cat. Same thing happened with plastic grass in Easter baskets, so that was banned at our house as well. Years later we still have cats that like to chew stuff, so we can't use it.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I remember applying the tinsel as the most tedious and time consuming part of decorating the tree. ONLY Dad was allowed to do it, as he patiently placed the strands one by one. We kids just threw it on in gobs. Haven't seen tinsel in years... I like the look of the tree without it, myself, but to my parents the tree wasn't complete without the tinsel. Thanks for the memories!
Old 12-04-2016, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

So trying to get the tinsel strands 1) separated from each other out of the package 2) perfectly hanging even on both sides and 3) not sticking to us as we went, was a trifecta from holiday purgatory.

LOL!!!! What a hilarious and true statement this is!
Old 12-04-2016, 07:09 AM

If you are asking a rope tinsel, I use a small gold rope and small red ribbon. If you are asking about the long streams that hang on the branches, I stand back from the tree toss a few at a time at the tree all around the tree.

Last edited by Aurora; 12-04-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:16 AM

How the tinsel would hang was always a parameter when buying the tree. There had to be enough gaps in the branches for it to look its best. Mom supervised this part of the decorating like a Sargent major and I know she rehung a lot after we went to bed. LOL.
We carefully removed it and saved it but never got it all. I can still see the tree at the side of the road, after New Year's, waiting for the garbage truck, sparkling in the sun shine with the "escaped" or "lost" tinsel (depends how you look at it).