Vacuum cleaner advice

Old 05-01-2011, 04:09 AM

Oreck. You can get them for a decent price on ebay. They are lightweight compared to the Dysons.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 AM

I love my Kiby! It's heavy, but I sure does the job!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:25 AM

You will not be sorry with the Dyson. I have never had such a thoroughly good vacuum of my flat before I bought it. I struggled for years with a different one and it didn't do half as good a job. It takes less time as well.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:36 AM

I have the shark navigator and love it. Does hard floors and carpet, very lightweight and works great. Don't have pets, but I think it has a pet hair attachment thingy!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 AM

When our vacuum died a couple of years ago, I was doing research to decide on what would be the best. DH decided that for not much more money than a good vacuum, he could install central vac. I love it!!! Have an outlet upstairs for the bedrooms, one on the main floor and one in the basement (where our new family room will be). In addition, in the kitchen there is a foot-activated one that is a flap that opens and you just sweep what's on the floor into the opening. We have one more foot-activated one to install in the bathroom. Luckily my husband is extremely talented and there was no cost for installation.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:04 AM

so here goes my recommendation....believe or not I bought the $39 Bissel Power Force from Walmart and it works super!! It has all the attachments right on it.....I know its lightweight and cheap BUT it came highly recommended from someone who cleans houses for a living. At first I was skeptical but then the lady who cleans my house (yes I so splurge on that) loved it! I think its only sold at Walmart. Anyway I figure if it dies I'm not out that much money. My husband also bought one for his office. Just something to think on.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:12 AM

I live in the country, have a shedding dog, 2 cats, a son in a wheelchair (amazing what the tires bring in the house) a husband and then all my mess with quilting. All with hardwood floors in a log house (notoriously dusty). I've had my Dyson 8+ years. I bought full price at the time and would do it again.

It is amazing how much it pulls up. I don't have to buy bags or filters. I rinse out the filters every 6 months.

I will never have another brand of vacuum again.

(steps dowm off her soap box)
Old 05-01-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by GlendaNixon
I live in the country, have a shedding dog, 2 cats, a son in a wheelchair (amazing what the tires bring in the house) a husband and then all my mess with quilting. All with hardwood floors in a log house (notoriously dusty).
Your Dyson handles dust? I have 4 golden retrievers that bring in mud on their feet, which then dries to dust causing the rugs to hold so-o-o much dust. I have a Rainbow vac, which I have a love/hate relationship with. I love the power it has to get the dust from the rug but I hate the fact that all of that dust and hair collects in a container of water that needs to be emptied somewhere outside. I have a very old septic system (cess pool) so I can't dump the muddy/hairy water down the toilet.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:46 AM

I have a Bissell bagless and would not trade it for anything.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:38 AM

Get an Oreck. I have the commerical model has long cord, only weighs 8lbs. Got it on ebay a few years ago for 179.00 new, in stores it's about $400. I love it!