Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacuum cleaner advice

so here goes my recommendation....believe or not I bought the $39 Bissel Power Force from Walmart and it works super!! It has all the attachments right on it.....I know its lightweight and cheap BUT it came highly recommended from someone who cleans houses for a living. At first I was skeptical but then the lady who cleans my house (yes I so splurge on that) loved it! I think its only sold at Walmart. Anyway I figure if it dies I'm not out that much money. My husband also bought one for his office. Just something to think on.

I live in the country, have a shedding dog, 2 cats, a son in a wheelchair (amazing what the tires bring in the house) a husband and then all my mess with quilting. All with hardwood floors in a log house (notoriously dusty). I've had my Dyson 8+ years. I bought full price at the time and would do it again.

It is amazing how much it pulls up. I don't have to buy bags or filters. I rinse out the filters every 6 months.

I will never have another brand of vacuum again.

(steps dowm off her soap box)

Quote Originally Posted by GlendaNixon
    I live in the country, have a shedding dog, 2 cats, a son in a wheelchair (amazing what the tires bring in the house) a husband and then all my mess with quilting. All with hardwood floors in a log house (notoriously dusty).
    Your Dyson handles dust? I have 4 golden retrievers that bring in mud on their feet, which then dries to dust causing the rugs to hold so-o-o much dust. I have a Rainbow vac, which I have a love/hate relationship with. I love the power it has to get the dust from the rug but I hate the fact that all of that dust and hair collects in a container of water that needs to be emptied somewhere outside. I have a very old septic system (cess pool) so I can't dump the muddy/hairy water down the toilet.

I have a Bissell bagless and would not trade it for anything.

Get an Oreck. I have the commerical model has long cord, only weighs 8lbs. Got it on ebay a few years ago for 179.00 new, in stores it's about $400. I love it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nance-ell
    We were cleaning house before going on vacation the week before Easter. I think my house is always cleanest right before we leave town because I can't stand coming home to a messy house! LOL. Our vacuum cleaner died just as DH was finishing up the upstairs. So, we're in the market for a vacuum. We've been home a week and NEED to vacuum!!!!! So, just wondering what advice you all might have. We have 2 dogs (one shedder, one non-shedder). We have heard great things about the Dyson model for pets, but I really hate to spring $500-600 for one vacuum cleaner! We've also seen good reviews on LG and it's not quite as pricey. But, if anyone has had great experience with a good machine, I'd like to hear about it before I head to the store.

Thanks!
    Can't beat a HOOVER as for me.

Check out the vacuums on Consumer Reports. They really put them to the test. We have a whole house vacuum with tubes in the walls and canister in the garage. Its great for deep cleaning, but I have a little handy vac for spots.

Blog Entries
    I had a Kirby and loved.
    Got a Hoover Windtunnel and hated it. Maybe it was lemon.
    I have bought two Dysons and loved them.
    They are worth the money.
    They are expensive to repair, I hear.
    I love my vacuums like I love my sewing machines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    I love, love, love my Dyson Pet Vac. It is still going strong after 6 years. I would replace it in a heartbeat. I have a German Shepard,(heavy shedder) a Doberman and an Aussie (heavy shedder). Expensive, yes, but money well spent.
    Ditto. I have 3 Labs, 1 Pug, 1 cat. Why I never bought a Dyson before is beyond me. Maintain as suggested in booklet and it will work hard. I had been a Hoover person. Ugh!

I LOVE my Oreck! Automatically goes from carpet to floor! I have a yorkiepoo and no problems, but he doesn't shed much either.

Power Poster
    A comment about cost:

Sometimes it's more economical in the long run to spend more money up front and have an appliance that lasts for a long time.

The Cost per Use formula:

Number of times used/cost to purchase and maintain

Sometimes it's less expensive in the long run to pay for a "better" machine than to buy three cheapies in the same time frame. And way less aggravating.

We bought a Dyson, sent it back for a replacement (thinking we got a lemon) and finally sent it back for good - it just couldn't keep up. We have four beagles and three cats, and I vacuum every day. We test drove both Meile and Riccar, and went with the Riccar upright for performance and price. The only drawback is it's heavy, so we bought a second Riccar for the upper floors.

I know people really love their Dysons, but if I were you I'd see if I could borrow one first to make sure it really will suit your needs. Also, check in with vacuum repair folks and get their opinions on any model you're considering.

Good luck!

I have a Kirby and I absolutely LOVE it - they are pricey however, I paid $1,400.00 about 8 years ago but I've never had any trouble with it. I think you can go online and look for used ones for more like $600. Well worth the price.

We have 3 shedding dogs and I go thur vacuums about every 2 years, so I don't spend a lot for them. The last one I got is a Eureka Capture for pet hair. I've had it for over 2 years and it's still going. Sometimes it over-heats and quits, but I let it cool down and it starts back up. It does get up the hair. If it died today, I'd still give it great reviews as it's been abused and still working.

I have a Dyson Animal vacuam..works wonderful on pet hair. Worth the money.

Blog Entries
    I have a Dirt Devil Vision -12amp-bagless with all the attachments I have 2 long haired cats and they shed by the bushels and 2 dogs and this machine picks up down to the padding I replaced all my flooring and I didn't flll a dust pan when I broom swept 6rms -2baths -4closets -my Dirt Devil works better after 3yrs than my Aunts brand new Dyson she returned with a lot of flack from the dealer and she got the new version of mine for $189 a difference of $679 which made her final 3car payments and a nice dinner out for 2 a nice tip and a new pair of shoes

Blog Entries
    I had six long haired, shedding dogs and we have a Dyson Animal and love it. I burned out several before buying the Dyson and, if a belt should break they replace it free of charge.

Miele for the past 10 yrs and just love it. I paid around 400.00 at that time

Blog Entries
    I have two Dysons - one upright; one canister. Love them both.

Blog Entries
    I have a commercial Oreck and like it because it's lightweight. I also have a Hoover canister I like for light jobs. I have a Kirby that is about 40 yrs. old and it has really been used, my house and my 2 sons houses. It is about to take a dump with very little maintenance. I don't like the weight since I have a bad back but I liked what it did so well, I just shelled out 600 bucks for a new one yesterday. I had a home demonstration and the new one worked so much better than the old one, I couldn't resist. It has a gear to make the push and pull almost effortless. I would reccommend them to anybody.

sassy granny

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Quote Originally Posted by nance-ell
    We were cleaning house before going on vacation the week before Easter. I think my house is always cleanest right before we leave town because I can't stand coming home to a messy house! LOL. Our vacuum cleaner died just as DH was finishing up the upstairs. So, we're in the market for a vacuum. We've been home a week and NEED to vacuum!!!!! So, just wondering what advice you all might have. We have 2 dogs (one shedder, one non-shedder). We have heard great things about the Dyson model for pets, but I really hate to spring $500-600 for one vacuum cleaner! We've also seen good reviews on LG and it's not quite as pricey. But, if anyone has had great experience with a good machine, I'd like to hear about it before I head to the store.

Thanks!
    I have 4 dogs and 2 cats. just got a Dyson DC 33 and I love it! about a hundred less than the Dyson Pet and it seems great! I got a USED kirby and had it for nearly 20, yes, 20 years before it needed replaced. loved the old bird.

Blog Entries
    We have a pet dyson--thanks to our dd. We have two dogs in the house and this machine is wonderful. It is well worth the price that you pay for it. Love it!

I use a Hover self propelled. I do like it. I need a vacume to be easy to push. How easy is the Dyson? My kids would like me to get one . Just wondering.

I don't like my Dyson. Over the years my favorite was a Fantom.

My upstairs is all carpt and I could not get a vacuum that would push thru the carpet. Kirby has a extra lift on back that powers it thru and I love it and all the attachments. Idid have a light weight Panasonic that I bought about 1990 that lasted for 15 years the new ones are not the same. It was wonderful too. I have tried the Oreck but it is too heavy too. So even tho Kirby is heavy, it is the only one that works on my carpet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast