Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Vacuum cleaner advice

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinka
    I have the shark navigator and love it. Does hard floors and carpet, very lightweight and works great. Don't have pets, but I think it has a pet hair attachment thingy!

I also have the Shark and boy does it suck! Suck in a good way!! I have never had a vacuum get so much dust up from my rug. I vacuumed with my old windtunnel and then went over the same spot with the Shark. Good Golly, I couldn't believe the amount of dirt left behind for my Shark to get. Got mine at Costco so if I didn't like it I could take it back. Keeping this one!

I have the amazing Dyson pet model too, and if this one wears out I'll get another! It's a very powerful machine and by far the best I've ever seen. Sears had the best price four years ago when we bought ours.

Absolutely LOVE my Oreck and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. We have a long-hair shedding dog...no problem.

I have Corgis. (double coats) I do believe in spending extra $$ for better quality but I have to tell ya, I purchased a Riccar Simplicity for around $300 and while I love the vac, the dog hair clogs it up and I spend a lot of time unclogging it! With this said, I went to Walmart in desperation one weekend and paid $89 for a Dirt Devil vac for "animals". I LOVE THIS VAC! It is bagless and you can see through the canister. It is amazing how much dog hair it picks up! I swore that my berber carpet was brighter after I used this vac. How long this cheapy vac will last is anyones' guess but I am truly happy with how it picks up the dog hair. It also has an "animal" hand roller brush attachments which is good for the stairs,etc.
    Sandy

Wow! Looks like Dyson takes the prize for these boardmembers! LOL. However, I went with an LG after reading and reading and reading and reading reviews. I had already checked consumer reports and it got a good rating there. I've already used it several times and love it. Only complaints are that it is a little on the heavy side, but really no more than our Kenmore that just died. It also has a large "barrell" that won't allow it to drop and get under low furniture. But I move my furniture (not every time) to vacuum anyway if I feel it needs it.

Thanks for all the replies!

My daughter bought a Dyson and in the first day she got rid of more dog hair than the old Sears vacuum had ever picked up in the 5 years she had the Sears one. When my machine died I got the Dyson vacuum for pet hair and the same thing happened to me. COULD NOT believe the hair it pulled out of the carpet!!!

BTW Did you know they sell Dyson at Big Lots now?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat M.
    My daughter bought a Dyson and in the first day she got rid of more dog hair than the old Sears vacuum had ever picked up in the 5 years she had the Sears one. When my machine died I got the Dyson vacuum for pet hair and the same thing happened to me. COULD NOT believe the hair it pulled out of the carpet!!!
    That's just what happened with us! But it was a sharp if I remember correctly. And those bags weren't cheap and we went through them very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by nance-ell
    We were cleaning house before going on vacation the week before Easter. I think my house is always cleanest right before we leave town because I can't stand coming home to a messy house! LOL. Our vacuum cleaner died just as DH was finishing up the upstairs. So, we're in the market for a vacuum. We've been home a week and NEED to vacuum!!!!! So, just wondering what advice you all might have. We have 2 dogs (one shedder, one non-shedder). We have heard great things about the Dyson model for pets, but I really hate to spring $500-600 for one vacuum cleaner! We've also seen good reviews on LG and it's not quite as pricey. But, if anyone has had great experience with a good machine, I'd like to hear about it before I head to the store.

Thanks!
    We just bought the Shark Lift Away. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by nance-ell
    We were cleaning house before going on vacation the week before Easter. I think my house is always cleanest right before we leave town because I can't stand coming home to a messy house! LOL. Our vacuum cleaner died just as DH was finishing up the upstairs. So, we're in the market for a vacuum. We've been home a week and NEED to vacuum!!!!! So, just wondering what advice you all might have. We have 2 dogs (one shedder, one non-shedder). We have heard great things about the Dyson model for pets, but I really hate to spring $500-600 for one vacuum cleaner! We've also seen good reviews on LG and it's not quite as pricey. But, if anyone has had great experience with a good machine, I'd like to hear about it before I head to the store.

Thanks!
    I forgot to say on my reply that it was only $159 at Walmart.

We have a rainbow and love it. We had it for 15 years. We had the motor rebuilt once.

Blog Entries
    Dyson....Parents sold Kridy, good machine....Dyson is better....It is amazing how much dirt it picks up.

Blog Entries
    I go to the used vaccum stores and buy overhauled Hoovers. I've had 3 or 4 and they have all worked for 5-7 years for a reasonable price, if you don't want to spring for a bunch of $$$$. We bought the Animal and had it about 2 years and it went kaput! Also since it has a heppa filter you can't use carpet powder cause it stops up the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I have the Hoover Windtunnel and it does a really great job of taking care of the cat hair. Been using it for 4 years. The only problem I have with it is that it will NOT vacuum the floor for me --- it insists I have to USE it!
    Mine is about 14 years old and it's going strong. I did have to replace the brush recently but it purrs like one of the kittens it cleans up after.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I have the Hoover Windtunnel and it does a really great job of taking care of the cat hair. Been using it for 4 years. The only problem I have with it is that it will NOT vacuum the floor for me --- it insists I have to USE it!
    I also have the Hoover Windtunnel and LOVE it.. I have inside dogs. It gets all the hair with no problems..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4