Vacuum cleaner advice

Old 05-01-2011, 12:56 PM

I just got an Oreck - love it - a bit pricey, but wow! Our carpeting looked like it was ready to be replaced, and now it looks like the loft is back and the carpet is clean and it leaves a clean smell in the house cause it has a unit built in where it attracts all the dust, so no dust in the air either; and much less dusting! Hard to believe, but true!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:10 PM

I've read that you are supposed to vac one time per week for every person and pet in your home. That would be 5 x's per week for me and that just isn't happening. Would cut into the gardening and quilting time.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:13 PM

I have a Dyson, it does a good job but is heavy. I find I like my Hoover better. Take care.
Linda
P S I have dogs, cats and birds, so have a variety of fur/feathers to pick up.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM

I have a Dyson. My model is called THE ANIMAL and for good reason. It picks up pet hair beautifly. You think your carpet is clean until you use THE ANIMAL for the first time and you will be shocked at what comes up. I really love it. Only problem---it's expensive.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:39 PM

I have a Bissel Powerforce from Walmart ($39). I also have a long haired cat, a short haired cat, a Blue Heeler, and a Malamute. It keeps all the hair vacuumed, and bags are $10 a dozen at Bissel.com online. I live in a dusty area, and between the HEPA filter, and the bags, it has cut way down on the dust in my home. It is also light weight for carrying. Good luck
Old 05-01-2011, 01:40 PM

I have a Bissel Powerforce from Walmart ($39). I also have a long haired cat, a short haired cat, a Blue Heeler, and a Malamute. It keeps all the hair vacuumed, and bags are $10 a dozen at Bissel.com online. I live in a dusty area, and between the HEPA filter, and the bags, it has cut way down on the dust in my home. It is also light weight for carrying. Good luck. :-)
Old 05-01-2011, 01:41 PM

If you have pets, the purple Dyson for pets is the way to go. I have a Miele which is supposed to have the best suction going, and swept my carpet. I swept right after with the Dyson and you would think i had never swept my carpet with the amount of dirt, hair and carpet fuzz that came up. It filled the canister! No bags, easy to empty because you have no bags and you don't have to touch the stuff you swept up out of the carpet. It does great on upholstery too. I have a springer spaniel and a Maine Coon, and they shed a lot. I have also had mine for 5 years and it is as good as the day I bought it. it doesn't have all of the belts, etc. that other vacuums have that you end up having to replace.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:08 PM

i just got shark sweeper and it picks up pet hair just fine paid $69.00 at kmart
Old 05-01-2011, 02:14 PM

I have a Riccar and a Hoover windtunnel canaster. The riccar was way expensive and I have to bring it in yearly to have it serviced. The Hoover canister - work well. The canister my youngest loves to use it.
See if you can try one out before buying it.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
we have central vac with tons of suction- anything in its path and slurp! it's gone. Before we installed hardwood floors I used the vac AND the regular vacuum to get all the dog hair. The cost for a beater bar on the central vac- $325.00- 9 years ago. We have the Hoover upright, I went for the allergen removing (i.e. hair) one which was about $159.00.

My son and spouse think vacuuming once a week is sufficient. I beg to differ, but it's their job so I live with the hair on the couch. They get the idea I want it vacuumed when I won't sit down.
This will NOT help the OP, but what brand of central vac do you have?
25 years ago I worked at an electrical whoolesaler, and as an employee, I could buy anything they sold for 10% over their cost. We were in the process of remodeling, to the point of opening up walls, and hubby is extremely handy, so we bought and installed a Nutone.
I can't remember what everything cost, but I didn't relize the beaters were so much. We have very little carpet in our house though.

I probably jinxed myself, the thing will probably break now, but like I said, 25 years and no problems.

The only thing I don't like about, is that it is vented to the outside, so the whole little town I live in, hears when I use it, or I should say, how LITTLE I use it